Students in Evanston, at NU pair to serve community

Laura Beres has devoted her college education to social policy and now she’s putting it to practice in her own backyard — Evanston.

For the past two years, the Education senior has been involved with Youth Endeavors, a Northwestern-based program that funds and assists Evanston high school students to serve their community.

“Frequently we tell youth that they’re not ready yet, that they need more time,” Beres said. “In reality high schoolers are particularly ready to make some change. They just need some help.”

The program, started by Communication Prof. Paul Arntson, aims to empower the high school students to take initiative in Evanston. In its second year of operation, Youth Endeavors is accepting applications to dole out six grants of as much as $1,000 for Evanston students this summer.

Last year Youth Endeavors delivered three grants to high school students. Two students sponsored by the foundation worked with the Open Studio Project, 903 Sherman Ave., which encourages young people to express their emotions through art. The Open Studio Project, a nonprofit organization that opened in 2000, runs art classes and auctions in Evanston.

Another group of high school students partnered with Family Focus, 2010 Dewey Ave., to organize summer trips and leadership activities for middle school students.

Too often, Arntson said, high school students’ experiences with philanthropy revolve around fund raising. Instead he hopes to give students opportunities for hands-on charity work.

“They’ve got a vision of helping other people and making the community a better place,” he said. “They need the resources.”

NU students both mentor high schoolers and coordinate the students’ work with community groups.

Shital Shah, a Weinberg sophomore who recently began working with the foundation, said she was attracted to the program because she wanted to give back to Evanston.

“If I was in high school and we had something like this, I know I would love it,” Shah said.

Youth Endeavors receives money from the Evanston Community Foundation, North Suburban Area Projects and NU. The Evanston Community Foundation, a philanthropic organization partially funded by Dance Marathon, gave a two-year grant to the program.

Sara Schastok, executive director of the Evanston Community Foundation, said the community needs more collaborative enterprises like Youth Endeavors.

“Being involved in philanthropy helps the (high school) students develop into responsible, caring adults,” she said.

In a similar program aimed at NU, Arntson plans to start a Northwestern Civic Engagement Foundation that would fund college students’ work in the community. The foundation also would encourage students to partner with NU alumni, he said.

In the future Youth Endeavors plans to give 10 to 12 grants each year to students, Arntson said. The foundation, he said, already is expecting to receive at least four applications this year.

This year’s applications are due by the first week of June, Arntson said. High school students of all ages who are interested in applying for grant money should contact Arntson at (847) 491-5838.