Chicago, NU to host Gay Games in 2006

Chicago will host the seventh Gay Games in 2006 with events scheduled to be held at Northwestern, officials announced last month.

“We are still in the final venue negotiations,” said Tracy Baim, vice co-chairwoman of Chicago Games, Inc., a nonprofit organization that will organize and host the 2006 games. “But Northwestern has been very cooperative and we look forward to having a long-term relationship with them.”

NU officials also said they look forward to providing campus facilities for the event.

“The university is willing to support (Gay Games’) efforts and help them out like any other group,” said Mike Wolf, assistant athletic director for media services.

Rainbow Alliance Co-president Leslie Stewart said she finds NU’s response appropriate.

“It’s good Northwestern is treating Gay Games as any other organization,” said Stewart, a Weinberg junior. “They deserve equal access to facilities just as any other organization.”

Medill sophomore Erica Futterman said she agrees.

“Considering recent events, I think it’s great Northwestern is taking action to support an open-minded view of homosexual individuals — especially with an event like Gay Games which is not just about homosexuality, but also about sportsmanship,” Futterman said. “That’s a great attitude to have.”

The Gay Games include a minimum of 25 sports and organizers said they hope to add five more for the 2006 games. Sports range from basketball and soccer to swimming and volleyball. The competitions tentatively slated for Evanston and NU’s campus include diving, ice hockey, racquetball, tennis, water polo and badminton.

Officials added that plans for the games have not yet been finalized and only preliminary inquiries have been made to NU from the organization.

“There has been no confirmation on what facilities will be used or what sports will be played here,” Wolf said.

Chicago Games, Inc., said organizers created four main hubs where games will be held to show participants all Chicago has to offer. The hubs are the North Village (Evanston and NU), the West Village (University of Illinois-Chicago), the South Village (Hyde Park and the University of Chicago) and the North Lakefront (Navy Pier).

The games, scheduled to begin July 15, 2006, have a conservative budget of $6 million, according to Baim. Officials expect the 12,000 participants — 10,000 athletes and 2,000 cultural participants — to make an extensive economic impact on the region.

“One of our goals is to bring revenue to the city of Chicago,” said Baim. “We also hope to, at minimum break even, or hopefully have surplus to give back to the gay and lesbian community.”

Baim also said she thinks the games will change Chicago as a city.

“I feel Chicago will never be the same after the Gay Games are over,” said Baim. “It’s not just about sports. It’s a way to break down stereotypes and change society. It is a community-building event and we are proud to be hosting it.”

Bidding for the site of the Gay Games began in 1999, when Chicago Games, Inc., presented a proposal explaining why Chicago would be an appropriate location. The organization’s conservative fiscal plan and strong emphasis on the quality of the sports and people in Chicago allowed it to beat Los Angeles, the other finalist.

Gay Games have occurred every four years since 1982 when Olympic athlete Dr. Tom Waddell founded the event. The last time the games took place in the United States was in 1994 Gay Games in New York City. Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and Sydney, Australia, have hosted the last two games.