NU Idol contest could raise $5,000 for Special Olympics

Northwestern’s most talented performers will battle it out in the school’s first NU Idol competition, presented by Special Olympics as a fund-raising effort for the Area 5 Illinois Games scheduled for May.

“This should be an entertaining night that will showcase the cream-of-the-crop singers at Northwestern,” said Katie Del Priore, Special Olympics’ finance co-chairwoman who has been the event’s principal organizer.

At the end of the first day of sign-ups Tuesday, 10 people had agreed to audition individually or in groups. Special Olympics executive board members said they hope at least 50 people would be slated to audition by the end of this week.

“Due to the popularity of the ‘American Idol’ television show, especially among college students … there should be a great turnout,” said Scott Brodrick, finance co-chairman for Special Olympics and a McCormick senior. “I’ve talked to a lot of people who have expressed interest — if not in performing then in coming to watch NU Idol.”

During auditions the executive board will select the 10 best students to compete March 2 at 7 p.m. in Cahn Auditorium.

The evening will consist of two rounds. Seven performers will be eliminated after the first round, with the final three challenging each other in vocal duels. The winner will be determined by audience applause. A grand prize, which could include a round-trip ticket to anywhere in the country, will be awarded to the winner, said Del Priore, a Communication sophomore.

The profits from the event could make up about half of the funds Special Olympics needs to raise before the games kick off during Spring Quarter, Del Priore said. If Cahn, which seats more than 1,000 people, sold out, it would bring in about $5,000 in revenues.

“Hopefully we will have a good turnout,” Del Priore said. “If all goes well, it will be a phenomenal event for Special O.”

Students can sign up for auditions through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Norris University Center. However, depending on the number of applicants, the deadline might be extended. Tickets to attend the competition will be about $5.

If successful, this event will become an annual competition on campus, Del Priore said.

“It’s a guinea pig event, and we’re not sure how it will turn out,” she said. “But all of us are working really hard and hoping for the best.”