Students give thanks for range of Turkey Day plans

Bare tree branches, frigid air and cloudy skies indicate the end of fall and the beginning of the holiday season. As students begin preparing for final exams, many look forward to a brief respite: Thanksgiving.

James Lovsin, a McCormick junior who lives only an hour away from Northwestern, said he looks forward to getting away from campus. Lovsin will celebrate the holiday the traditional way at his aunt’s house.

“I don’t think I would like spending (Thanksgiving) here since I am so used to being home for the holiday, ” he said.

Not all NU students are as fortunate as Lovsin. Some consider traveling home to be an unnecessary expense, especially with Winter Break beginning in just three weeks.

“It’s not worth it to spend the money,” said Sarah Forte, a Medill sophomore, who will spend Thanksgiving with her grandparents in Milwaukee rather than going home to Portland, Ore. “I’m upset because I miss my (immediate) family, but I’ll see them soon enough.”

Students like Forte often find other ways to celebrate the holiday. While some stay on campus, others decide to visit friends or relatives.

Education freshman David Kane is taking a bus to Wisconsin with a friend from school and will spend Thanksgiving there.

“It’s not practical for me to fly home to California,” he said. “I’m looking forward to going to my friend’s house since I’ve never been to another state in the Midwest, and it should be fun to go to someone else’s house for a change.”

Some students, however, will remain on campus for the entire weekend.

Ethan Chang, an international student and McCormick junior, spent Thanksgiving last year in Fisk Hall with other international students and will stay at NU again this year. He said he hopes to have a traditional Thanksgiving dinner either on campus or in one of Evanston’s restaurants. Chang said he doesn’t mind staying, but the campus becomes deserted.

“It’s pretty depressing to be here when the campus turns into a ghost town,” he said.

To help students feel less isolated, Associated Student Government will sponsor its second annual Thanksgiving dinner from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Nov. 27 in Parkes Hall, room 122. The price is $3 for undergraduate students, $6 for graduate students, faculty and staff, and free for children under 12. Tickets are available at the Norris Box Office with a WildCARD.

Noora Lori, ASG’s campus relations chairwoman and an international student, started planning for the event last spring. She said she wanted to work on the project after contributing to the success of last year’s dinner.

“Many of those who came in alone left in groups,” said Lori, a Weinberg sophomore. “And it was really the first time people came up and thanked us for what we had done.”

Catered food, including 15 smoked turkeys, from Hecky’s Barbeque, 1902 Green Bay Road, will feed about 200 people at the dinner this year.

Chris Orvin, a Communication junior and a resident assistant in Shepard Residential College, has to stay on campus to monitor the dorm over the break. He is encouraging residents who are staying to attend the ASG dinner.

Aside from the ASG dinner, many students are cooking Thanksgiving dinner in their own apartments and inviting friends to join them.

“It’s a great way to get people together and give them a place to go to,” said Jamie Ott, an Education senior. “I love hosting people for dinner and sharing a yummy meal with friends.”