Special Olympics sports night unites NU, Chicago athletes

Developmentally disabled athletes will get a chance to challenge some of Northwestern’s athletes tonight from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Special Olympics’ annual sports night, hosted this year with Sigma Nu.

Varsity athletes, NU students and Willie the Wildcat will welcome Special Olympics athletes from the northern Chicago area to Patten Gym, giving the athletes a chance to practice their skills through different pick-up games and relay races.

NU’s chapter is sponsoring the event to encourage interaction between students and special athletes. It’s also a chance to involve more people in the organization and to attract students to coach for the games, said Grace Kim, a member of Special Olympics’ publicity committee.

“This is a chance for Northwestern students to get to meet the athletes and see what Special O is all about,” said Kim, a Weinberg junior.

Sports night is the group’s first event of the year. Other events leading up to the May 2 games include a holiday party Dec. 1 and a Valentine’s Day dance Feb. 15. A week before the games, organizers will host 3D, a carnival educating the public about Developmental Disability Day.

“(The sports night) is a great atmosphere and fun way for all students to step out of their comfort zone and learn more about developmentally disabled individuals and about themselves,” said Rachel Adamczyk, a Weinberg junior and the group’s financial co-chair.

NU athletes said they realize the impact they can have in the Special Olympics athletes’ lives.

“We can share our love for sports with the athletes, who look up to us as role models,” said Julie Lipinski, a Communication sophomore on the women’s soccer team.

NU athletes plan to bring footballs, soccer balls and basketballs to Patten. Local recreational centers also are donating some equipment for the night. The event is free and open to all students.