7th Ward’s Tisdahl recommits to NU, so take advantage (City Watch)

Prepare to meet your alderman — at least if you live in Jones Residential College, the Communications Residential College, the International Studies Residential College or 1835 Hinman. Ald. Elizabeth Tisdahl (7th) might not be your alderman yet, but since the redistricting map passed by Evanston City Council’s Rules Committee on Nov. 3 seems certain to be chosen as the final plan, she probably will be soon. The map moves those dorms into the Seventh Ward, which already includes most of North Campus.

Tisdahl was appointed last year by Mayor Lorraine H. Morton to replace Stephen Engelman when he resigned. But instead of simply filling her Seventh Ward seat, she has proven herself willing to work with Northwestern in a meaningful way. She even said she’s glad more students will be living in her ward.

“I don’t see the student vote as a liability,” Tisdahl said.

At Monday’s City Council meeting, some Associated Student Government representatives lamented that aldermen don’t represent them well. So students should now take advantage of the opportunity to work with someone so eager to represent them.

Though she once served as the president of the District 202 school board, which oversees Evanston Township High School, Tisdahl never expected to be an alderman. She said she genuinely enjoys working with students — she wouldn’t have sat on the school board for 12 years if she didn’t.

“I like public service,” she said. “I like representing people, and that includes students.”

The politics of the redistricting process strengthened Tisdahl’s resolve. Even though the new map significantly reconfigured the Seventh Ward, Tisdahl said the redistricting plan was a necessary sacrifice to preserve Evanston’s two wards where black voters are a majority.

“There will be a time when there is not a need for this,” she said, “but that time is not now.”

Tisdahl recently met with Evanston Police Department Chief Frank Kaminski to discuss campus safety issues. Although she said she and Kaminski are skeptical that increasing off-campus lighting will reduce crime, she said she was interested in facilitating safety information sessions for students, or maybe even starting an NU citizen police academy.

“I do not believe you can come up with a solution that will actually resolve the problem without talking to students,” she said.

However, she stressed, students need to look out for each other. If you wouldn’t let your friend drink and drive, she said, don’t let them walk home alone at 4 a.m. either.

Tisdahl also has attempted to work with NU’s administration to solve city problems. She devised a proposal for the university and Metra officials to build extra parking near the train station. The idea was that the parking lot could serve NU football fans and encourage commuters to park and take the train, instead of driving all the way to work.

Tisdahl knew her plan could not succeed, though, after the council voted not to settle the pending lawsuit between NU and the city.

“As the vote went against the lawsuit settlement,” she said, “I saw my parking lot crumble.”

Evanston cannot allow its relationship with NU to get any worse, Tisdahl said.

“There is a pendulum that swings back and forth in town-gown relations, and it’s swung about as far as I want to let it go,” she said.

But even if NU and the city are in court, Tisdahl has a plan to get students to come to brainstorming sessions.

“I always have food at meetings with students,” she said. “I know it increases attendance.”

If students are smart, they’ll be attending those meetings whether they’re being well fed or not. Tisdahl is not only interested in what students want and need, but she also has the power to actually make it happen.

So come with questions and an empty belly.