Speaker discusses abortion ‘threats’

Robyn Nardone, manager of public affairs for Chicago’s Planned Parenthood, informed students of what she called recent threats to reproductive rights Thursday evening and called on the audience to take action.

“It is time for us to come together and make a statement about about the erosion of a woman’s right to choose,” said Nardone, addressing a crowd of about 40 students, primarily women, in Harris Hall.

She discussed what she called “the war on women.” Assuring the crowd she was presenting facts, she stressed the anti-abortion climate of the Bush administration and its effect on groups who support abortion rights, as well as discussed tactics of anti-abortion groups.

“Since his first day in office, Bush has pursued a steady campaign to eliminate reproductive freedom through executive orders, key appointments, funding initiatives for abstinence-only sex-ed programs and judicial nominations,” she said.

Nardone called on audience members to actively help change the current situation. Aside from advocating for abortion rights through e-mails and letters or spreading policy and advocacy information, she encouraged students to attend the March for Freedom of Choice that will take place in Washington in April.

Nardone talked about specific “threats” currently present in Congress, including the newly-passed Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Bill that prohibits doctors from committing an “overt act” designed to kill a partially delivered fetus, including skull punctures commonly used in partial-birth abortions.

“This ban is unconstitutional and is currently sitting on the President’s desk,” Nardone said.

She also highlighted the methods of different anti-abortion groups attempting to make abortion illegal.

“The anti-choice people have done a good job at picking very extreme situations and putting both a disturbing and negative swing on choice,” Nardone said.

Many anti-abortion groups spread wrong accusations daily, according to Nardone, in an effort to prevent not only abortions, but all contraceptives. These groups gather in front of Planned Parenthoods around the country, physically approaching people in the area.

“These are abortion sidewalk counselors who intimidate and harass,” Nardone said.

Students said Nardone’s lecture was informative and relevant, especially in today’s climate.

“I thought it was fantastic to have a speaker from Planned Parenthood on campus,” said Laura Hadden, a Medill freshman. “It’s important for people to be aware of this information.”

Attendee Ellen Stolar –a Weinberg sophomore who recently created a NU chapter of Vox, an educational and activist abortion-rights group — said that more awareness efforts are needed.

“A lot more needs to be done on campus to keep students aware of the threats to their reproductive freedom,” Stolar said.

Correction: Bill provisions misstated (Nov. 3, 2003)

A Friday Daily article misstated the provisions of the Late-Term-Abortion Ban Bill. The bill prohibits doctors from committing an “overt act” designed to kill a partially delivered fetus, including skull punctures commonly used in partial-birth abortions.

The Daily regrets the error