Rocky’ start for a young actor

What do you get when you cross an NU musical theater student, Jerry Springer, a Speedo and transvestites? No, not “Springer Break” drag-style. A revamped stage version of “The Rocky Horror Show.” Chicago sure knows how to do it up right.

Michael Witwer, a 21-year-old Music senior, is making his professional debut as Rocky Horror in “The Rocky Horror Show,” which is running through Sunday, Nov. 30 at the Chicago Center for Performing Arts. Among Witwer’s fellow actors are Jerry Springer and Mancow Muller, the host of Q101’s “Mancow’s Morning Madhouse.” Muller will guest star as the narrator through October until Springer takes over.

“I haven’t rehearsed with Jerry Springer yet,” said Witwer, a native of Glenview, Ill. “But Mancow is quite a personality — really larger than life.”

The cast began rehearsal on Sept. 29, giving the actors approximately two weeks to practice before the Oct. 16 preview performance. In the musical, Witwer has to act, sing and dance — a feat he feels ready to take on because of the training he has received at NU’s musical theater program.

“The program forced me to study acting, singing and dancing extensively,” he said. “The more you can do, the more work you can secure for yourself, so I’m thankful that professors and instructors urge students to develop as many skills as possible.”

Witwer (below) said he transferred to NU from the University of Illinois in 2001 because he wanted to find a more rigorous music and theater program. He has been involved in NU’s productions of “Titanic,” “Grand Hotel” and “Pop-Sical.” Shortly before joining the cast of “The Rocky Horror Show,” Witwer was in the NU dance review “Flatt Out!”

Witwer said he got the part of Rocky by accident. He was at a “West Side Story” dance call and “nothing came of it.” But he did receive a phone call from someone in the casting department who said he would be perfect for “The Rocky Horror Show.”

The cult phenomenon stage show, born out of a small studio theater in the early ’70s, is a comedic and erotic combination of science fiction, drag queens and rock songs that has since become a Halloween classic. In 1975 it was made into a movie starring Susan Sarandon and Tim Curry.

The plot focuses on Janet and Brad, fianc