Kansas State’s Roberson returns to face Texas

Kansas State at Texas

Time: 2:30 p.m.

Place: Austin, Texas

Line: Texas by 6

TV: ABC

Records: Kansas State (4-1), Texas (3-1)

What’s at stake: Quarterback Ell Roberson needs to prove he’s back from the broken bone in his right hand that has sidelined him since Sept. 6. The Longhorns could score a big victory over a conference rival and ranked opponent.

Overview: Just as Roberson returns from his injury, No. 16 Kansas State’s running back Darren Sproles might miss Saturday’s game with a hand injury. His status is unknown for the game. The outcome could come down to Roberson’s performance, but No. 13 Texas needs a win, especially as the Longhorns will be facing No. 1 Oklahoma next week.

Tennessee at Auburn

Time: 6:45 p.m.

Place: Auburn, Ala.

Line: Auburn by 1

TV: ESPN

Records: Tennessee (4-0), Auburn (2-2)

What’s at stake: Auburn gets a chance to prove it deserved the preseason respect when it faces a top-10 team at home.

Overview: After being named as a possible candidate to go to the Sugar Bowl, Auburn hasn’t backed up the hype. The Tigers suffered embarrassing losses to Southern California and Georgia Tech, but have rebounded in victories over Vanderbilt and Western Kentucky. If the Volunteers win on Saturday, they will have their first 5-0 start since their 13-0 national championship season in 1998.

Alabama at Georgia

Time: 2:30 p.m.

Place: Athens, Ga.

Line: Georgia by 10

TV: CBS

Records: Alabama (2-3), Georgia (3-1)

What’s at stake: Georgia seeks a bounce-back win after falling to Louisiana State two weeks ago. Alabama has lost its last two games and needs a victory to get the team back on track.

Overview: Alabama’s loss to Arkansas stung, but it was nothing compared to the team’s defeat at the hands of Northern Illinois. The Crimson Tide desperately needs a win to begin to salvage a season that is quickly slipping away. But No. 11 Georgia is far from a pushover, even after losing to LSU. The Dawgs want to come back strong from their bye week.

Oregon at Utah

Time: 9 p.m. Friday

Place: Salt Lake City

Line: Oregon by 2 1/2

TV: ESPN2

Records: Oregon (4-1), Utah (3-1)

What’s at stake: Oregon was soundly defeated by Washington State last weekend, while turning the ball over nine times, and quickly dropped in the national rankings.

Overview: Utah doesn’t bring a marquee football name to the matchup, but the Utes have toppled both California and Colorado State so far this season. Oregon will need to have a better showing than it did against Washington State to beat Utah. Oregon’s letdown loss came just a week after the team crushed a Michigan team that many thought was headed for a national championship.

Washington at UCLA

Time: 5:30 p.m.

Place: Pasadena, Calif.

Line: Washington by 1 1/2

TV: Fox Sports Net

Records: Washington (3-1), UCLA (2-2)

What’s at stake: Washington is currently mired in a four-game losing streak at the Rose Bowl, but the Huskies enter Saturday’s game in a much better position than the Bruins.

Overview: Washington quarterback Cody Pickett had to sit on the sideline for the team’s last game against UCLA. This time he’ll be on the field, looking to reverse the recent trouble the Huskies have faced at the hands of the Bruins. This game marks Washington’s first road game since its opener on Aug. 30.

Clemson at Maryland

Time: 2:30 p.m.

Place: College Park, Md.

Line: Maryland by 7 1/2

TV: ABC

Records: Clemson (3-1), Maryland (3-2)

What’s at stake: Neither team has had a great start to the 2003 season and each could use a win over an ACC foe.

Overview: Maryland quarterback Scott McBrien had his best game of the season in a win over Eastern Michigan last weekend. But the Terps’ biggest problem has been the lack of production from injured star running back Bruce Perry, who missed much of the 2002 season. Clemson, on the other hand, scored a big win over Georgia Tech last weekend, crushing the Yellow Jackets 39-3. Saturday’s matchup is key for the Tigers, as they face tough conference games in the next two weeks.