Spring game concludes practices, doesn’t draw conclusions (Football)

Northwestern showed signs of encouragement on offense anddefense in Saturday’s 80-play scrimmage that marked the end of theWildcats’ spring practice.

But each positive showing revealed a possible weakness on theopposite side: Was the defensive line’s pressure on the quarterbackmore indicative of the Cats’ shaky offensive line? And were RogerJordan’s two touchdown grabs actually a bad sign for a mostlyinexperienced NU secondary?

Either way, coach Randy Walker finds most of his units in a muchbetter state than he did a year ago. The skill positions on offenseall boast solid returners from last season, and the defensive frontseven is a year older and stronger.

“I thought the defense has gotten better as the spring wentalong,” Walker said.

Sophomore defensive end Loren Howard and sophomore linebackerBraden Jones each recorded a pair of sacks. The pressure was apositive sign for a young unit that struggled to rush the passerand stop the run last season.

“Guys are more physical tackling and more confident becausethey’re stronger,” defensive coordinator Greg Colby said. “Youdon’t see big gaps and guys breaking through holes like they usedto.”

Colby said sophomore Tim McGarigle has emerged at linebacker.The secondary, which features three former running backs, is thefastest unit Walker’s had at NU but struggled at times.

On the other side of the ball, quarterbacks Brett Basanez andAlexander Webb shared playing time and looked remarkably similar intheir mobility in the pocket. Webb connected on 10 of 17 passes for118 yards and two TDs, while likely starter Basanez finished8-for-17 for 83 yards and a score. NU’s offense did not turn theball over in the scrimmage.

First-string running back Jason Wright sat out with an injuredankle.

Junior running back Noah Herron led all rushers with 51 yards onjust five carries. Derell Jenkins, who was moved to running backfrom quarterback two weeks ago, saw action in the backfield and onspecial teams. Jenkins handled most of the punt return duties inthe scrimmage and broke off a couple of impressive returns.

Who will be blocking is less clear. Junior tackles Zack Strief,who suffered a leg injury in the scrimmage, and Trai Essex return,and junior Matt Ulrich should start at center. Walker said theguard spots, handled Saturday by Greg Lutzen and Ike Ndukwe, arestill up for grabs.

Webb has made good progress this spring after missing all oflast season with a lacerated liver.

“I missed out on some experience, but you deal with injuries andcome back as fast as you can,” Webb said. “I don’t focus on thesetback, I’m here now and when I get my opportunity, I’ll beready.”