Engelman out of ‘heart’

Mayor Lorraine H. Morton will likely appoint a replacement for Ald. Stephen Engelman (7th) after his resignation takes effect Saturday, the alderman said.

Engelman, who announced his resignation at the City Council meeting Monday night, said any of his ward’s 11,000 residents could potentially be appointed to replace him. He said the city’s legal department is still finalizing the details.

In his resignation speech, Engelman said he was tired after 12 years of service on the council, and said he wanted to spend more time with his family.

The alderman also has suffered three heart attacks — the first occurred during a kickoff party for his initial campaign for alderman in 1991. Engelman said that after his most recent attack last year, he knew he should not wait until the next election to step down.

“Both literally and figuratively, I no longer have the heart to perform the duties of my office in the manner that the citizens of Evanston deserve,” he said.

He said he was looking forward to some down time. Without the Monday night council meetings, he will be able to watch Monday Night Football for the first time in 12 years, he said.

Of all the city government’s accomplishments during his tenure, Engelman emphasized Evanston’s economic development.

“We have transformed what was a rusting, inner-ring suburb … into a vibrant, appreciating, 24/7 community encompassing not only places to live but to work and to play,” he said. “And we have done so without abandoning our commitment to promote the diversity that many of us sought in moving here.”

He also highlighted the fortitude required of public servants.

“The real trick is containing the burning passion and the cool patience inside you, together, without the two destroying each other or the container in which they are kept,” he said.

Engelman thanked the mayor, the council, city staff and the residents of his ward. He also reminded those residents that he and his principles would remain in Evanston.

“I will continue to be your neighbor,” he said. “It is time for new leadership in the ward. But a change in leadership does not mean a change in the social contract.”

Engelman adjourned the meeting Monday as his last official act — but not before many aldermen had a chance to compliment him on his record.

Ald. Edmund Moran (6th) said he admired Engelman’s vigor and thanked him for being a good friend.

“We were children of the ’60s who were going to make things better,” Moran said. “Your hair is now gray, but you have the spirit of a kid in his teens or 20s.”

Much work still has to be done in Evanston, Engelman said Tuesday, and he intends to leave his successor prepared.

“There’s one thing I’m very confident in — that the city can accomplish these things without me,” he said.

Howard Levin, who ran against Engelman in the 2001 election, said he might consider filling the position if asked.

Karl Gromelski, who also ran, said he thought Engelman was a good, hard-working man, but he hoped the mayor would appoint an alderman willing to look at the city’s problems in a different way. He said he would also be willing to serve if asked.