ASG plan asks administrators to thaw out Freshman Freeze

Fraternity members are hopeful that freshmen will be able to enter Greek houses sooner now that Associated Student Government has approved a bill calling on the university to revamp Freshmen Freeze.

Currently, the rule prohibits freshmen from entering fraternity houses during the first month of Fall Quarter.

The legislation that Senate approved Wednesday night proposes that university officials allow freshmen to visit fraternity houses for approved activities that are dry, or without alcohol, and are regulated by the Interfraternity Council.

Freshman Freeze began in 1991, when the majority of Northwestern’s fraternity houses were wet.

“The way (rush) starts now is with unsafe, unregulated, wet off-campus activities, and what I’d like to begin with is on-campus, dry, regulated events,” said Weinberg senior Bassel Korkor, the bill’s co-author.

In its original form, the bill, drafted by Korkor and Kappa Sigma Sen. Bryan Tolles, asked that NU eliminate Freshman Freeze entirely after New Student Week. When that proposal received mixed reviews, Korkor, Middle-Eastern Students Association senator and Beta Theta Pi member, drafted an amendment that left the Freeze’s length the same but allowed freshmen in fraternity houses during IFC-sanctioned and -regulated events.

“(The amendment) eliminates the concerns people had about freshmen just casually hanging out at frat houses their first or second week of classes, but it maintains the principle of positive Greek events bing open to freshmen,” said Korkor, who also is the IFC risk management chairman.

The idea of the freeze can be complicated, and Tolles said last year he wondered what the point of the regulation was.

“Being a freshman, I didn’t really understand Freshman Freeze,” said Tolles, a Weinberg sophomore. “It seemed as though NU was shunning the Greek system.”

Tolles said he thinks the proposal has the backing of the student body. He said the amendment did not change the bill’s goal but only made it more specific.

But not everyone was happy with the final bill and its amendment. Mike Saxvik, outgoing IFC vice president for recruitment, said he had hoped to see the freeze eliminated and thought the proposed changes would not be enough to make an impact.

“You can change it however you want, but the fact that the freeze exists and still will exist puts limitations on fraternities,” said Saxvik, a Weinberg senior.

Supporters of the proposal are still waiting to see how administrators will react. Korkor said members of IFC have spoken with NU officials already, and he said he hopes Senate’s approval of the bill will help sway administrators.

“Some of the administrators definitely support our proposal, and some of them just need to have some of their fears calmed a little bit,” Korkor said. “The amended version of the bill addresses the concerns of the administrators who are skeptical.”

Chris Bruss, incoming IFC vice president for recruitment, said he favors the amended proposal. He said allowing freshmen into houses for events such as scholarship banquets and Homecoming Week alumni activities would benefit freshmen and fraternities.

Bruss said changes to the Freeze not only would help keep students on campus but also would make it easier for freshmen to learn about fraternities.

“Although I am a fan of bringing nightlife back on campus with safe, dry parties, I’m more concerned with getting freshmen to have a better understanding of houses early on,” said Bruss, a Communication sophomore.

One drawback to having on-campus events would be the need for IFC to approve and regulate functions, Saxvik said.

“There will have to be strict observance to it and a lot more risk managing and observation to make sure frats are following the policies,” he said.

During Fall Quarter many city residents took issue with students’ loud parties and disrespectful behavior when the fraternities, under pressure from NU, moved parties off-campus. James Wolinski, Evanston’s director of community development, said changes to a plan like the Freshman Freeze could help improve university and town relationships.

“I think that any movement by the university to try to contain partying or loud noise as opposed to it rolling into the neighborhoods would certainly be supported by Evanston residents,” Wolinski said.

ASG External Relations Chairman Ben Cherry said he hopes if Freshman Freeze is shortened, “one side effect of it will be that there are fewer raucous off-campus parties.” Still, he said he realizes partying will not cease.

“I wouldn’t expect this to negate off-campus partying entirely, but I hope there will be some effect,” said Cherry, a Weinberg junior.

But Brandon Brooks, a Zeta Beta Tau senator, said he does not think changing the freeze will greatly impact the number of students who attend off-campus parties.

“Lifting the Freshman Freeze would only affect a small group of people,” said Brooks, a Weinberg junior. “We have three other classes that still will go to these (off-campus) parties.”

Tolles said fraternity members might solicit support from Evanston officials to bolster their case before they meet with NU administrators.

“I’m almost positive that we can try to hammer this out with the university and get no Freshman Freeze or a limited Freshman Freeze (at some point), but I’m not sure if it’s going to happen for next fall,” Tolles said.