3 sororities, 1 fraternity team to sponsor Phistock benefit

Three Northwestern sororities and one fraternity are joining forces to present a benefit concert for Suitcase Party.

Sponsored by Pi Beta Phi, Alpha Phi and Gamma Phi Beta sororities and Phi Kappa Psi fraternity, the concert, PhiStock, will rock Nevin’s Live on Friday, Jan. 17 from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m.

Four NU and Chicago bands are scheduled to perform at the $5 concert: Bleeding Charity, Second Seed, Nomadic and Samsara. The bands mostly play a mix of hard and alternative rock.

PhiStock originally was scheduled for Fall Quarter, but problems with the intended venue — Patton Gym — caused the delay.

“We got a good deal at Nevin’s,” said Liz Johnson, Pi Phi’s philanthropy chairwoman. “They were already having a concert, so they let us take over and invite the bands.”

Johnson, a Weinberg senior, also said Greek organizations expressed enthusiasm for putting together a group effort.

Communication junior Amanda Stone, co-philanthropy chairwoman for A Phi, said the concert’s timing may actually work in its sponsors’ favor.

“The most important aspect of Greek life is philanthropy, so it’s good that houses are working together,” she said.

“It’s good to show the pledges immediately that (Greek life) is more than just social.”

The collaboration between three sororities and a fraternity has prompted high expectations for turnout. The groups used flyers and mass e-mails for publicity.

“Because it’s four (Greek houses) and a band from Chicago with its own fans, it might be up to 200 to 300 people,” Johnson said.