Budget deficit could prompt hike in taxes

Evanston City Council’s blueprint for overcoming next year’s $3.5 million deficit calls for nearly everyone to share the budget burden — including taxpayers.

In the city’s balanced budget proposal, released to the public this week, City Manager Roger Crum favored across-the-board cuts instead of targeting specific programs. The result would be a tight year for nearly every city department and higher taxes for property owners, who would face an 8.6 percent increase in the city’s portion of property taxes.

“I don’t think anybody will be happy with (the proposal),” Crum said. “I’m not happy with it. But we have a very good council that recognizes that the problem is real.”

Crum proposed a $73.3 million budget, an increase of $1 million over the current fiscal year’s spending. The council can alter any part of his proposal, but a final 2003-04 budget must be adopted by March 1, when the fiscal year begins.

The current economic downturn has made this year’s task particularly difficult, with tax revenue from the state falling below estimates even when Evanston’s sales tax revenue remains strong.

The city faces a deficit on an annual basis, and last year aldermen filled the gap with cuts to some social services programs, decreases in non-union employee raises and a 7.2 percent increase in the city’s share of property taxes.

This year’s proposed increase, which would boost revenue by $1.2 million, would mean an overall property tax hike of 1.5 percent.

Mayor Lorraine H. Morton said she thinks the council is prepared to accept sacrifices to pass a balanced budget. But the large property tax increase would be unacceptable, she said.

“I’m not for any budget that calls for any increase in taxation,” Morton said. “I don’t think (residents) can absorb any more.”

Crum’s proposal would cut some specific programs and services, but most of the $2.3 million in reductions would be absorbed by all city departments — though not evenly. The cuts range from 2 percent for the police and fire departments to 6 percent for administrative services.

The proposal would also eliminate 22 full-time positions. The positions would mostly be cut through vacancies and attrition, Crum said.

He said he designed his budget with the idea that most of the cuts proposed could be rescinded when the national and state economies recover.

“Last year we focused on one-time, permanent cuts,” Crum said. “This year, nearly everybody is on the list.”

A few specific programs have been targeted for elimination, however. The city would close the South Branch Library, which could be reopened later because the city rents the space at 949 Chicago Ave. The more popular North Branch building, on the other hand, is not on the cutting block because the city owns the building, Crum said.

The proposed budget would also reduce funds for the Summer Youth Employment Program by $20,000 and completely eliminate its Art Skills Program. Crum said it is a good program, but has a high cost — and teaches few job skills.

A notable employee cut is the elimination of School Liaison Officers at Evanston/Skokie School District 65 middle schools. The positions would be eliminated through attrition, Crum said. Crum also proposed sharing the cost of Evanston Township High School’s liaison officer with District 202 — though a deal has not yet been reached.

Many of the other positions proposed for elimination are already vacant, Crum said.

One wildcard in the budget is labor contracts, which are currently under negotiation. In his proposal, Crum allowed for a 2 percent raise for all employees and a $561,000 increase in medical premiums. However, nothing is certain until negotiations finish.

“We might have to cut further if we have a big settlement,” Crum said. “The budget proposed is a fairly delicate balance. There’s not much room for major changes.”

Ald. Steven Bernstein (4th) said he has known this would be a difficult budget for some time and is not looking forward to dealing with it.

“There are no surprises,” Bernstein said. “I wish there were some. I wish they were good ones.”