Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

Alternative Spring Break organizers canceled a weekend trip to Wisconsin due to lack of interest, but maintained optimism for upcoming projects.

Only one student applied for this quarter’s Alternative Weekend, an outdoor restoration project in Milwaukee. But ASB Program Director Melissa McGonegle said she is looking forward to Winter Break trips and announcing spring sites at the beginning of January.

This is the first year organizers planned an Alternative Weekend during Fall Quarter, McGonegle said. Weekend trips normally are scheduled during Winter and Spring quarters.

McGonegle said students have been busy turning in applications for joining the Winter Quarter ASB class and for leading spring trips. This week was also the group’s coffeehouse fund-raiser at Unicorn Cafe.

“I think people are a little inundated with ASB right now,” said McGonegle, an Education senior.

McGonegle said this year more students signed up for ASB winter trips than last year.

This winter’s projects include trips to Minnesota to build houses with Habitat for Humanity, to Texas to help adults and children with developmental disabilities and to California to work with runaway kids.

Before students depart on the trips, they will have a chance to meet with all of the ASB participants during a kick-off program Dec. 13. McGonegle said the party acquaints students with those in other trip groups.

“So often people think of ASB as just their group of 14 people, but it’s much bigger than that,” she said.

After the winter trips, ASB does not have another week-long outing until Spring Quarter, but organizers have found a way to let students focus on volunteering and social issues throughout Winter Quarter.

ASB Educational Coordinators Laura Blacksher and Sujan Reddy will facilitate a course next quarter titled “Where’s the Line? Migration at the U.S./Mexico Border.” Students have signed up to study immigration issues through readings, discussions and guest speakers. The class will culminate in a Spring Break trip to a border site.

“I think a lot of people are looking for a class that offers more of a group learning experience,” said Blacksher, a Communication junior.

Whether they are in a classroom or on a trip, students involved with ASB said they enjoy meeting new people and participating in activities that college students might not normally be able to try.

Crotty said he decided to join ASB after spending time with his Project Wildcat counselor.

“She raved about it as being absolutely exceptional and one of those things you had to do,” said Crotty, a Communication junior.

McGonegle said during her six ASB trips she had the chance to build a bridge, prepare 200 pounds of tuna salad and make friends with different types of people.

“It’s one of the most incredible things I’ve ever found,” McGonegle said. “It’s such a unique experience.”