EPD cites seven area stores for underage cigarette sales

Seven Evanston tobacco retailers were cited this week for allegedly selling tobacco products to minors.

Five anonymous juveniles helped police conduct a “Tobacco Compliance Operation” on Saturday and Wednesday to monitor underage tobacco sales, said Cmdr. Michael Perry of Evanston Police Department.

The juveniles went to 60 local retailers and tried to obtain tobacco products, Perry said.

“Out of 60 (retailers), seven were in violation,” Perry said. “The police department takes (violations) seriously and the mayor of the city takes it seriously.”

Cited were Delta Discount, 800 Main St.; Dominick’s Finer Foods, 1910 Dempster St.; United Food Mart, 331 Howard St.; 7-Eleven Food Store, 847 Dodge Ave.; Davis Pantry, 927 Davis St.; Evanston 1st Liquors, 1019 Davis St., and Evanston Gas & Food Inc., 101 Ridge Ave.

The businesses cited for selling tobacco products to minors are scheduled to appear Nov. 13 at the Evanston Civic Center, 2100 Ridge Ave., where they will go before a panel for an adjudication hearing.

Police never announce when they are conducting a compliance operation and businesses are given no warning, Perry said.

EPD last conducted one of these operations in January.

Of the retailers monitored Jan. 12, only one was cited for selling tobacco to a minor, Perry said.

The rise in violations is a concern, Perry said, but all violations are considered “something serious.”