Iowa makes major statement on the road (Big Ten Roundup)

Brad Banks threw for 222 yards and three touchdowns as Iowa handed Michigan a 34-9 defeat — the Wolverines’ worst home loss since 1967.

The No. 14 Hawkeyes (8-1, 5-0 Big Ten) face only three more obstacles on their way to a possible share of the conference title and trip to the Rose Bowl. They do not play the conference’s other unbeaten team, Ohio State, who controls its own destiny.

The Wolverines (6-2, 3-1) trailed 10-9 at the start of the third quarter, but sophomore Markus Curry fumbled a punt return and Iowa scored 24 unanswered points. Banks connected with C.J. Jones for a 3-yard score — his second of the game — and backup running back Jermelle Lewis scored on the ground and in the air in the second half.

No. 8 Michigan held Iowa’s leading rusher, Fred Russell, to just 28 yards on 20 carries, but Lewis filled in with 109 yards. Wolverines quarterback John Navarre completed only 14 of 33 passes for 112 yards.

Ohio State 13, Penn State 7: Chris Gamble became the Buckeyes’ first two-way starter in 39 years and Ohio State (9-0, 4-0) won despite losing tailback Maurice Clarett midway through the first quarter.

Gamble, Ohio State’s second-leading receiver, started at cornerback and returned an interception 40 yards for a score in the third quarter for the go-ahead touchdown. No. 17 Penn State took over at its own 15 with 3:02 remaining, but Zack Mills’ pass to Bryant Johnson fell incomplete on fourth down.

Clarett left the game early with a shoulder stinger, which the team said afterward was not serious. The No. 4 Buckeyes’ defense dominated a Nittany Lions offense that had averaged 37 points per game. Running back Larry Johnson, coming off a school-record 257 rushing yards last week, was held to just 66 yards.

Wisconsin 42, Michigan State 24: Brooks Bollinger threw three touchdowns and ran for two more as the Badgers won their first Big Ten game of the season.

Wisconsin (5-3, 1-3) found the endzone on three of its five first-quarter possessions, and Michigan State never got within three scores in the second half. Tailback Anthony Davis had his second straight 100-yard game and Dwayne Smith added 110 on the ground in Badgers coach Barry Alvarez’s 90th career win.

The Spartans (3-5, 1-3) were without quarterback Jeff Smoker, who was suspended indefinitely for an unspecified violation of team rules. Sophomore Damon Dowdell threw for 162 yards and two scores in his second career start. He left the game in the fourth quarter with an ankle injury and was replaced by freshman Aaron Alexander.

Illinois 45, Indiana 14: Antoineo Harris rushed for 176 yards and four touchdowns in a little more than a half as the Fighting Illini (3-5, 2-2) played their most complete game of the season.

The Hoosiers (3-5, 1-3) regressed into early-season form after improving the past two weeks. They dropped passes, turned the ball over twice and committed several key penalties.

Illini quarterback Brandon Ward, making his second start since being benched early in the season for Jon Beutjer, threw for 197 yards and two touchdowns. Junior wide receiver Brandon Lloyd caught three passes for 52 yards and a 31-yard score.