Circus theme prompts protest

Elephants parading around a circus ring might entertain the masses, but members of Northwestern’s animal rights group, Justice For All, are not amused.

“It’s not a harmless entertainment business,” said Tricia Valcarcel, the group’s president.

Justice For All members are using Homecoming’s “Under the Big Top” theme as a chance to increase awareness about the inhumane conditions some animals face in circuses.

Josh Sager, Homecoming parade co-chairman, said he was unaware the circus theme bothered Justice For All members.

“I figured (the circus theme) would be something fun,” said Sager, a Weinberg senior. “I never thought somebody would be concerned, although animal rights are a valid concern.”

Although members of Justice For All will march in tonight’s parade and distribute fliers, Valcarcel stressed they are not in opposition to the parade itself.

“We’re not protesting Homecoming per se, but we just want to get out the word that we’re against circuses,” said Valcarcel, a Weinberg senior.

Group member Anna Blinstein said she wants students to realize the group is not trying to force its ideas on others.

“A lot of students seem to think that animal rights activists are extreme people who use extreme measures,” said Blinstein, a Weinberg senior. “We’re about spreading information and letting people make up their own minds.”

Members said they hope to bring information to people off campus Nov. 9 when they join forces with an animal rights group from DePaul to protest the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus in Rosemont, Ill., Valcarcel said.

Justice For All wants to host a human circus Spring Quarter, group member Aleksa Lederer said. Money raised from fall events, such as a Nov. 18 and 19 bake sale, could be used to bring a performing troupe similar to Cirque du Soleil to campus for the show.

Human circuses have advantages over shows where animals are forced to perform, Lederer said. People participate in circuses because they want to showcase their talents.

“It’s voluntary – they’re not chained,” said Lederer, a Weinberg senior.

Justice For All concentrates on many issues, not just humane conditions for working animals. The group encourages alternatives for students opposed to dissection and promotes offering a variety of vegetarian meals in NU dining halls.

Justice For All members are working with the biology department to improve NU’s dissection alternative policy. The university does have a policy that provides alternatives, but Lederer said she thinks many students are unaware of such options.

One alternative to dissection is a CD-ROM simulation, which Valcarcel did last year instead of dissecting a frog in her biology class. Group members are working to make such alternatives available for all NU classes that use dissection.

The group also works to educate students. Last Saturday members sponsored a day-long conference that featured earth- and animal-friendly products, and speakers discussing healthy diets. Valcarcel estimated about 150 people attended the conference in Ryan Family Auditorium.

Justice for All has seven active members but often gets volunteers for activities, such as last weekend’s conference. Valcarcel said she wants students to know that their participation in the group can help effect change.

“This year we’re trying to get information out that shows how (animal rights) relate to everyone’s life,” she said. “We want to show that people can make a difference.”