Sibling rivalries abound as Cats take on Badgers (Volleyball)

When the Northwestern volleyball team takes on No. 15 Wisconsin tonight, the stage is set for more than a tough conference match — it’ll be a family feud.

Two Wildcats welcome their Wisconsin teammate sisters to Welsh-Ryan for tonight’s 7 p.m. match. NU freshman outside hitter Christie Gardner and Wisconsin junior defensive specialist Korie Gardner will battle to be the best in the back row. The Cats’ assistant coach Meggan Kohnen will watch her sister, freshman defensive specialist Katie Kohnen, play for the Badgers, as well.

Despite the family reunion, Christie Gardner is trying to look at the match as just another three games NU (12-8, 5-3 Big Ten) has to win.

“When I go out there, it’s not my sister on the other side,” Gardner said.

In addition to Korie, Gardner has another sister who recently graduated from Wisconsin (14-5, 5-3) after playing volleyball for the Badgers. Gardner, a West Bend, Wis., native, said her family ties to Wisconsin put her in a strange situation but that her loyalty remains with NU.

“It’ll be weird because I’ve supported (Wisconsin) in the past,” Gardner said, “But I’ve changed my ways.”

With her family so closely tied to the Badgers, it’s surprising that Gardner chose to play for the Cats. She said Wisconsin was always on her list of colleges, but ultimately decided on NU for its academic opportunities.

As for the second pair of sisters, coach Kohnen played for the Badgers and was part of the team that made it to the 2000 NCAA Tournament championship match in which it lost to Nebraska.

“I’m proud of playing there,” Kohnen said. “But after you play, you move on and now my allegiance is to NU.”

Although her little sister will be playing her first game in Evanston, don’t expect Kohnen to treat her differently than any opposing player on the court.

“We’re a competitive family,” Kohnen said. “All’s fair in competition.”

The Badgers, last year’s Big Ten champs, will provide a good barometer for how far the Cats have progressed this season.

Even though Wisconsin has graduated key players since last year, Kohnen knows from experience that the Badgers are a perennial threat.

“Wisconsin has the potential to be Big Ten champion again,” Kohnen said. “But what we bring to the court is our youth and excitement.”

Currently, NU and Wisconsin are tied for third in the conference. However, the Cats are 0-5 in matches against ranked opponents — perhaps the motivation they need to finally beat a top team.

“You shouldn’t play in the Big Ten if you don’t think you can win every match,” Kohnen said.

The Badgers boast the co-Big Ten Player of the Week in Erin Byrd, who is fifth in the conference with 4.03 kills per game and fourth in service aces per game.

Wisconsin’s Lori Rittenhouse posted five of her team’s eight blocks against Michigan on Saturday and should give NU’s Erika Lange — the Big Ten’s No. 1 blocker — competition at the net.

Gardner is confident that the Cats can pull out the victory and is especially looking forward to showing her skills to her family, who will be in the audience.

Even though she talks to Korie every day, Gardner said there hasn’t been any trash-talk about playing against each other, and with good reason.

“She can’t say anything — we’re tied for third in the Big Ten,” Gardner said. “She has no room to brag.”