DM gift helps Evanston award record amount of donations

The Evanston Community Foundation announced its largest grant funding ever for social services in Evanston, thanks in part to Northwestern’s Dance Marathon.

The foundation dispersed funds Wednesday morning to a record 17 organizations and topped $100,000 in grants for the first time. More than $30,000 came from this year’s marathon, which raised about $485,000.

Both DM executive co-chairs were on the committee that allocated the money and one, Michelle Madigan, a Weinberg senior, said the program was a great experience.

“I think it’s a great benefit to both groups,” she said. DM benefits by gaining more donors, and the foundation gains more funds, she said.

The Evanston foundation was created to fund programs in the city that benefit areas such as art, education and community renewal. Sara Schastok, executive director of the foundation and a former NU dean, said it received 74 proposals and although the decisions were difficult, she was pleased with the outcome.

Without DM, the foundation would have had to fund even fewer programs, Schastok said.

“We have had five years together and we have made a big difference together,” she said.

One program the foundation sponsored is Family Focus’ new “Boys Do Too” project for young black men. This program, made possible by a $10,000 grant, will begin this summer and mirror the agency’s successful “Girls Just Wanna.” Both programs aim to help high school and junior high students in school and to connect them with positive role models.

Delores Holmes, director of Family Focus, said the organization wanted to respond more to the needs of young men.

“We are helping (the young men) learn how to cope with some of the problems that make being a black man difficult,” Holmes said.

Another group that received funding is the Bilingual Service Provider’s Exchange, coordinated by Evanston’s Office of Latino Services.

Money from the foundation will provide support for this committee, which sponsors programs like the Latino Resource Fair, an immigration workshop and the Evanston Hispanic Youth Achievement Awards. Aracely Canchola, outreach specialist with the city, said she hopes this will allow the committee to improve on service unavailable elsewhere.

“There is not one agency (in Evanston) that serves the Latino community,” she said. “They are open to it, but it’s difficult because of the language barrier.”

Madigan said those who donated to DM should be proud of its effect on these groups.

“There’s a lot of need in Evanston,” she said. “(Students) involved should feel like they’ve been part of these people’s projects.”