Filing reports electronically will help efficiency, UP says

For the past 20 years, University Police has stored every police report filed with the department.

But in a new plan to increase efficiency, officers are now abandoning their pens and paper and going digital.

Last year UP contracted New World Systems, a computer company specializing in software for police and fire departments, to begin establishing an electronic police records system for Northwestern’s Evanston and Chicago campuses.

UP will implement the new Microsoft Windows-based computer system in three stages over the course of the next several months, said Sgt. Merrill Silverman, who is responsible for UP’s technical services.

“I’m really excited about (the system),” he said. “It’ll be a big benefit to the department.”

Silverman did not pinpoint the project’s total cost. “It’s in the six figures, certainly,” he said.

The first stage of the program was completed last week when the new electronic records database came online, Silverman said. The next two phases, which will establish computer-aided dispatching and electronic field reporting, should be fully implemented by the beginning of Fall Quarter, he said.

The electronic field reporting will increase police efficiency by allowing patrol officers to file reports from laptops in their squad cars.

“Ultimately, it will keep them out on the street instead of in the station,” Silverman said.

Another benefit of keeping electronic records is they eventually will allow UP to post its daily crime blotter online, Silverman said. This will provide the university community and prospective students with easy access to information about crime on campus, he added.

Silverman said UP Chief Saul Chafin suggested the plan to modernize the way the department keeps its records.

“Our chief was surprised at the antiquated reporting system,” Silverman said. “It was his goal (when he joined the department) five years ago to bring on a new records system.”

Silverman said the computer company has trained some officers, and so far they have not had any serious problems using the new software. “It’ll take a little time, but we’ll get there,” he said.