UP prepared to patrol campus for Dillo Day

While many students rise early Saturday morning and begin the traditional debauchery associated with Dillo Day, University Police will be rehearsing its game plan for the day’s events.

Rain or shine, UP will be ready to enforce the university’s alcohol and drug policies, Asst. Chief Daniel McAleer said.

“We want to promote a safe environment for Dillo Day,” he said. “I don’t want anybody falling in the water. I don’t want any fights to start. I don’t want anybody getting hurt.”

Of course, UP’s level of activity depends on the weather. According to the National Weather Service, there’s a 70 percent chance of rain Saturday, although it’s supposed to clear up by the evening.

“One of the most significant factors (in the number of arrests made) is weather,” he said.

Though last year’s event was fairly mundane for UP due to inclement weather, police were busy two years ago. Sixteen people were arrested or referred to the Office of Student Affairs in connection with carrying marijuana, other drugs or drug paraphernalia on Dillo Day 2000.

Other than drug policies, UP also will enforce an Evanston city ordinance making it illegal for a person of any age to carry an open container of alcohol. No alcohol whatsoever will be allowed on the Lakefill, McAleer said.

Mayfest Co-Chairwoman Sarah Alexander said about 17 UP officers will start patrolling the Lakefill before Porch Band kicks off the concert at noon.

McAleer would not confirm the number of officers will be working the Lakefill, but he said some of them will be in plain clothes.

If the event moves into Patten Gym because of rain, Alexander said the UP detail for the event will decrease to about six officers checking bags at the door.

Many students said they think police should focus their attention on people doing drugs or endangering others, rather than on underage drinkers.

“Hopefully, they’ll just be out there to help people who are sick or obscene and not upset people having a good time,” said Andy Stager, a McCormick sophomore.

McAleer said it’s not just the behavior of students on Dillo Day that concerns police.

“The more serious situations involve non-university subjects,” he said. “In the past, we’ve made arrests for mushrooms and larger amounts of marijuana.”

McAleer said police also will be searching bags on the bridges leading to the Lakefill. The north entrance will be closed off because of its proximity to the stage.

Squeeze bottles will not be allowed on the Lakefill, and opened water bottles will be permitted only at the discretion of the officers, he said.

“Don’t expect that you’re going to be able to do anything illegal and get away with it,” he said.

Weinberg sophomore Annie Nussbaum said she doesn’t expect any problems with police on Dillo Day.

They can’t arrest the whole student body,” she said.