Residents upset by proposed cuts

Evanston residents spoke out on Monday night about possible cuts in arts programs, social service funds and a tax hike at a public hearing.

After City Manager Roger Crum introduced the city’s budget problems, 34 residents spoke at the state-mandated meeting.

Crum described the city’s nearly $4 million budget deficit, made more difficult to balance when aldermen eliminated more than $600,000 in cuts that Crum had recommended.

“The budget problem is still a very severe problem,” Crum said. By state law, the council must pass its budget by Feb. 28.

While some praised the council for saving the Evanston Public Library’s two branches and the Summer Youth Employment Program, others urged the council to consider sparing even more programs.

“(The council’s) priority should be the people’s needs, first and foremost,” resident Roberta Hudson said.

Many residents spoke against cuts to funding for the Mental Health Board. They said these cuts would threaten the city in the long run.

“Small cuts are one thing, but anything more than a few percent is dangerous,” said Marc Fusaro, an Evanston resident.

The recommended cuts exceed this small percentage – Crum proposed a 38 percent cut in his budget. Jane Grover, who serves as chairwoman of the Mental Health Board, said this runs counter to values identified by Evanston residents at a series of Budget Committee meetings. The most common values identified were Evanston’s people and their diversity.

“The health of a community depends for a large part on its mental health,” Grover said.

The board provides funding for 21 programs in 14 agencies and serves residents in programs such as Childcare Network of Evanston, Metropolitan Family Services and Family Focus. More than 5,000 residents are served by the fund, 91 percent of whom are low-income.

Another controversial topic discussed Monday was the proposed $50,000 cut to the Arts Program and the complete elimination of the Fleetwood-Jourdain Theater program.

“Cultural arts is the best part of Evanston, and I urge you not to take that away,” resident Christopher Duquet said.

Others said they saw Fleetwood-Jourdain as more than a theater, saying it was an important activity for many black children and a positive influence in the community.

“(The Fleetwood-Jourdain) Theater to my community is a symbol,” said Betty Ester, a former candidate for Second Ward alderman.

On the revenue side, local restaurant owners objected to a proposed 1 percent tax increase on food and beverage coupled with a liquor tax decrease. LuLu’s owner Daniel Kelch said the tax will hurt the restaurant industry unfairly and will affect his business directly.

“With the restaurant tax, restaurants would carry the burden of the tax increases,” Kelch said. He cited the double burden restaurants would be forced to carry with a food tax and 1.09 percent rise in property tax.

Increases in other fees were controversial to residents as well. According to some, raises in taxes and fees such as parking stickers and recycling will become burdensome on residents.

“When tough times come and (the council) has to make very difficult decisions, we raise taxes and fees,” said resident Michael Phillips.

While many residents said they were pleased with their ability to share these comments with the council, other also pushed aldermen to continue listening to its residents.

“The people of Evanston deserve to have their views seriously considered,” said Judith Treadway.