Council approves contested Starbucks

After more than a year of debate, the City Council approved on Monday the opening a Starbucks at 519 Main St. despite continued resident objections.

Residents have argued against the proposed Starbucks for months and also drafted a 1,500-signature petition against the request. But at Monday’s meeting the Council quickly approved the proposal, with only Ald. Melissa Wynne (3rd), whose ward includes the site, objecting.

Starbucks will be required to provide speed bumps near the building. In earlier meetings, Starbucks offered to rent parking spaces located away from the building for its employees and pay for a crossing guard to prevent double parking and protect children on their way to school.

While aldermen said they were glad Starbucks made such suggestions, some residents said it vindicated their concerns.

“The concessions that they have suggested are testament to the fact that there’s already a problem,” said resident Peggy Tarr.

Though only Wynne objected to the proposal, Ald. Joseph Kent (5th) said before the meeting that he did not wholeheartedly support it.

“I believe that it adds to congestion and would have been better in other areas,” he said.

Residents also objected Monday to the Council’s approval of the community-development block grant budget and the introduction of an ordinance proposing an apartment complex at 1930 Ridge Ave.

The council debated whether to approve the block grant proposal, which is funded by the federal government.

The council eventually voted 6-2 in favor of the proposal made by a city committee, with Ald. Lionel Jean-Baptiste (2nd) recusing himself because of his involvement with a group recommended for funding.

Ald. Edmund Moran (6th) objected to much of the funding because he said it did not go to community development programs.

The council should direct the grants toward the Church Street and Dodge Avenue neighborhood, he said, instead of a joint project with Evanston/Skokie School District 65 to improve a playground or the Evanston fire department education van.

“These are city projects that should be funded with city money,” he said.

Ald. Ann Rainey (8th) said the committee, of which she serves as chairwoman, had to satisfy more than $4 million in requests with about $2 million in funds.

“I think we did an excellent job especially in terms of helping the community,” Rainey said. Recommended proposals included aid for battered women and other community development groups, she said.

In other business, Kent attempted to block the introduction of an ordinance allowing a four-story apartment complex at 1930 Ridge Ave., an action so rare the council had to request legal verification he could do this. Kent said he and many others in the community objected to the number of apartments in the 194-unit building.

“(The neighbors) haven’t said they don’t want it,” Kent said. “They just don’t want so much of it.”

Residents expressed concern with traffic and parking problems as well as the possible influx of Northwestern students. Some stressed the difference between housing in this neighborhood and the downtown area.

Other resident feared problems with students who have a high turnover rate and a history of problems with neighbors.

“What we’re looking at is a possible future slum, and we can’t afford that,” said Evanston resident and NU classics Prof. Daniel Garrison.

Aldermen probably will vote on the ordinance at the Jan. 28 council meeting. Some aldermen echoed residents concerns about NU students despite allowing the introduction.

“I’m concerned that we’re building a private dormitory,” Wynne said.