Postal service hunkers down for the holidays

Despite increased security measures after recent anthrax scares, the United States Postal Service says it is committed to meeting the demands of the holiday season, its busiest time of year.

“This is my 32nd year in this process,” said Michael Kobler, Evanston postmaster. “Christmas shouldn’t be any different this year.”

To reduce the chances of an anthrax-tainted letter reaching an Evanston resident, the postal service has implemented a rigorous screening system for suspicious mail, Kobler said. Letters viewed as a threat under criteria set by the postal service are isolated and tested for evidence of anthrax.

About 270 major U.S. mail facilities have also undergone extensive anthrax testing, and postal employees receive updates every few days about how to react to potentially harmful situations.

Also, mail weighing more than one pound will not be transported on commercial airlines, as it was in the past. The postal service will ship this mail either by truck or in its own airplanes for security reasons.

Although the new shipping procedures take longer, Kobler said the postal service will not have to increase operating hours to meet its demand, beyond the normal increases for this time of year.

Still, postal service employees and their families find the threat of anthrax hard to ignore. But Kobler said his family trusts that the Evanston Post Office has taken the proper security measures to ensure his safety as the holidays approach.

“No, (my family is) not worried,” Kobler said. “They’re probably concerned, but not worried, because we have taken so many precautions.”

Kobler said he also was reassured about the community’s safety because so far no hazardous letters have been received in Evanston.

In addition to strict regulations for testing suspicious mail, the postal service is keeping employees informed about new procedures on how to handle mail during the holidays. All managers and supervisors must keep their employees informed about how to deal with anthrax.

In a press release, Postmaster General John E. Potter said the anthrax will not interrupt mail service this holiday season.

“‘Neither snow, nor rain … nor a nation challenged will keep Postal Service employees from doing their jobs with honor and pride,” Potter said. “You can be reassured that we will continue to face the challenge.”

Post offices around the country are prepared to do whatever it takes to make sure that holiday mail gets where it needs to be, said Ronald Gabriel, a postal employee from San Diego.

“We’re going to deliver all the Christmas presents,” Gabriel said. “Santa Claus will not be disappointed.”