Wildcats dominant again

For most of the 2001 season, the Northwestern women’s tennis team could depend on Lia Jackson at No. 2 and Marine Piriou at No. 3.

Now, with the graduation of No. 1 Colleen Cheng, one would think the decision to make Jackson the heir apparent would be an easy one.

Of course, not everything is as simple as it looks.

In the Omni Hotels Midwest Regional Championship in Madison, Wis., which began last Thursday, the Wildcats made an impressive showing. They sent five players to the quarterfinals, three to the semifinals, and both Jackson and Piriou to the finals.

But Piriou stole the show, defeating her teammate, 6-1, 6-1, in the finals on Tuesday to take the crown. She also made a pretty strong statement about the Cats’ ladder for next season.

“It was so weird, pretty unusual to have two teammates playing,” said Piriou, who had entered the tournament as the No. 5 seed. “She knows my game perfectly. I know her game perfectly. It was just a question of mental toughness.

“I can win, 6-4, 6-4, one day, she can win, 7-5, 7-5, the next.”

While NU head coach Claire Pollard may have a dilemma on her hands as to who will fill the top-two spots, she certainly doesn’t have any concern about her squad’s depth.

Jessica Rush, who played No. 5 for much of last season, beat four opponents on her way to a semifinal berth. Rush lost to Jackson, but Pollard said she was more encouraged by Rush’s play than anyone else’s.

“It just sent a great message that we’re deep,” Pollard said.

The Cats entered the NCAA Tournament in the spring as the No. 7 seed in the country, and this tournament has done nothing to show that they won’t at least match that performance, in the upcoming season.

“Our team looks good – very, very good,” Piriou said. “Our goal is the top five or six.”

Coming off of three consecutive Big Ten titles – including an undefeated season within the conference last year – NU knows that every team it faces will be gunning for an upset.

“You’re now going to have an even bigger target on your backs,” Pollard said. “Only means we’re going to have to work harder.”

The Cats have discovered another potential antidote to their opponents’ readiness – more talent.

Freshman Andrea Yung made it through three opponents to the quarterfinals before losing. And with teammate Simona Petrutiu going just as far, the Cats have plenty of depth to line up against the opposition.

“It was,” Piriou said of the outstanding tournament, “pretty much a Cats monopoly.”