Tales from a tiebreaker

uch like his beloved Boston Red Sox, Kasses took a dive for the good of humanity. Throughout last week he proudly – and loudly – bellowed that his stupefying slate of showdowns would foil even the most fearless of forecasters. He called me a moron for picking Texas A&M, scoffing about how he knows Aggies football and all.

But like the daredevil who misses the takeoff ramp, Kasses ate it big time last week. Thank God for Penn State and Joe Paterno, or this guy might have thrown himself into the Evanston River. But give him some credit. Gambling goes a long way at this school.

Too bad a gerbil could have gone 5-7.

Then again, few could come close to my marvelous mark. Katz, who also finished 8-4, was happier than a redneck at Wal-Mart after learning that he might get to scribble on this sacred space. But alas, this simpleton forgot to check our overall standings. They always say a tie is like kissing your sister, and since Katz has experience in that area, he lost by default. So it’s my turn – again.

Two weeks ago Prof. Roger Boye revealed his remedy for righteousness in Forecasters. He blabbed on about Nebraska, the daily line and home-field advantage. Funny thing Rog, I don’t see you around here much any more.

Since no one was able to match me last week, let me give you all some real advice. Don’t pore over the odds or the game site – just sit back, close your eyes and go with your first instinct. That’s what I do, and it works.

Oh, and by the way, never pick with Ebersole. He only didn’t even have the decency to show his face around here this week. This guy got a spot since he used to be sports editor, but as we all know, it’s called charity for a reason.

Consistency is the name of this game – and none of these guys has a clue. Katz picks NU because he lives next door to half the secondary. An eternal homer, Kasses opts for Northeastern against his entire family’s alma mater. And Ebersole? Well, he picked Pitt because that’s where he’ll stay for another week.

Take it from me – shoot from the hip, and maybe I’ll see some of you on the Doppler this weekend.