10th annual Sex Olympics informs, excites students

More than 40 Northwestern students and hundreds of condoms made for a rousing time Sunday during the 10th annual Sex Olympics.

The three-hour event, organized by peer health educators and held in Norris University Center’s Louis Room, featured games testing students’ knowledge about sexual-health issues.

Ten teams of four students each competed in 10-minute rounds of games called “Cummunication;” “Sexual Family Feud;” “Win, Lose or Withdraw;” “Device is Right;” “Sexual Pursuit;” “Let’s Talk about Sex;” and “Who Wants to be a Sex-pert.” The event climaxed with a relay race.

The provocative subject matter, in combination with the lively games, elicited continuous outbursts during early rounds.

During “Sexual Family Feud,” a peer health educator asked which sexually transmitted diseases NU students thought were most prevalent at the university after Herpes and Chlamydia. A member of Zeta Beta Tau’s team, “Jizzalicious,” answered syphilis, causing a minor dispute with another team member.

“Syphilis? What is this, 18th Century France?” asked “Jizzalicious” member Brenton Jenkins, a Weinberg junior. “Is this a Shakespeare play?”

A rivalry between Alpha Chi Omega’s team, “Sex on the Beach,” and Chapin Hall’s team, “The Fighting Vulvas,” flared up from last year’s Sex Olympics. During “Sexual Pursuit,” a game modeled after Trivial Pursuit where teams earned one or two condoms for correct answers, the two teams argued whenever more than one condom was awarded.

“It’s a big deal,” said Jim Diomede,a member of “The Fighting Vulvas.” “I mean it’s the difference between a baby and no baby!”

Although “The Fighting Vulvas” won, “Sex on the Beach” members vowed to bounce back, which they did when they qualified for the final relay race over “The Fighting Vulvas.”

The top four teams were “The Soretitty Girls” of Alpha Delta Pi, “Sex on the Beach,” “P-V” of Allison Hall and “Oral Fixation,” a group of friends.

The teams advanced to the culminating sexual relay race, which determined the winner of the Olympics. During the race, team members had to run blindfolded, put condoms on dildos, blow up condoms, match STD symptoms with diseases and rank the risk of contracting HIV from certain activities.

“P-V” – whose members were Allison Hall residents Becca Chang, Ana Mantica, Tommy Parisi and Dave Privatera – won, followed by “Sex on the Beach,” “Oral Fixation” and the “Soretitty Girls.”

“P-V,” which stands for “Penis-Vagina,” won T-shirts saying “Cover Girls like Covered Guys,” $25 gift certificates to Great Expectations and three $10 gift certificates to Flat Top Grill. The second- and third-place winners took home gift certificates and T-shirts.

All participants received goody bags filled with sex poetry magnets, condom roses, condom key chains, information pamphlets, highlighters and mints.

Organizer Brian Christensen said he was happy with the 10th Sex Olympics.

“I think it went well today, ” Christensen said. “Next year we will try to increase team participation.”

Many participants said they would be back next year to compete.

“It’s good, dirty fun,” said Aaron Hall, a member of the “Dominatrices” team.