Resurgent Bucks throwing block party

Michigan State has its fluid transition game. Wisconsin is known for its suffocating defense. And Ohio State is … the swat team?

Led by 6-foot-11 skyscraper Ken Johnson, the Big Ten leader in blocked shots (4.25 per game), the Buckeyes have forged a new identity and launched themselves back into the NCAA tournament hunt – on the strength of their dominant interior defense.

Ohio State (16-8, 7-5 Big Ten) is the Big Ten’s hottest team, riding a three-game winning streak into Mackey Arena tonight to take on an ailing Purdue squad.

The Buckeyes’ 63-58 win over Wisconsin on Saturday was their third victory over a ranked opponent in the past two weeks. Four Ohio State players scored in double figures, including Brent Darby (18 points) and Big Ten Player of the Week Brian Brown (13 points).

“We had a lot of close losses early, and I think that we’ve just grown up a little bit,” coach Jim O’Brien said. “We’re a little bit better in acknowledging what we need to do. It’s all been a learning thing, it’s all been a growth thing for the coaches and players. What usually happens is that teams get a little bit better as the season goes on because they become more comfortable with the style.”

Wisconsin (15-7, 6-5) had front-row seats to see the new and improved Ohio State, a team the Badgers had beaten 57-42 in Madison on Jan. 24. Wisconsin coach Brad Soderberg was thoroughly impressed with the Buckeyes, especially Johnson, who scored 13 points and blocked one shot.

“He changes the mindset of the players when they get in and around the lane,” Soderberg said. “I have come to respect the impact that a shotblocker can have on the game in the last few years, going back to as far as Calvin Booth, then Joel Przybilla and now Ken Johnson.”

HARD KNOCK LIFE: Although Purdue was still wobbling Monday after losing starting center John Allison to a stress fracture, Thursday’s news slammed the Boilermakers (13-9, 5-6) to the canvas.

The knockout blow came after forward Rodney Smith broke his right foot diving for a rebound in Wednesday night’s 73-54 loss to Wisconsin. Smith, who led the team with 14.8 points per game, could be sidelined for a month, according to Purdue trainer Larry Leverenz.

The Boilermakers now have lost two of their top three scorers (Allison averaged 10.9 points per game) and their two best rebounders and shotblockers. Allison is out indefinitely after x-rays Monday revealed the fracture in his right foot.

“You lose the maturity factor when you’ve got two guys who have been through a lot of the wars of the Big Ten,” Purdue coach Gene Keady said. “We’re just trying to play well right now, and John and Rodney gave us that leadership we needed in tough circumstances.”

Despite the crucial loss in manpower and an 81-62 home loss to Illinois on Saturday, Keady believes the supporting cast can carry Purdue to the postseason.

“Our goals have not changed at all,” he said. “I think it’s pretty realistic if we win one more that we’ll be in the NIT, if they want us. And if we win three more, we’ll probably be in the NCAA, being 8-8 in the league.”

MVP PICK: With only three weeks remaining in the Big Ten season, Soderberg was asked whom he deemed to be the Badgers’ most valuable player. Putting leadership ahead of statistics, Soderberg acknowledged the fine play of Wisconsin’s leading scorer, Roy Boone (14.2 points per game), but opted for senior guard Mike Kelley.

A preseason favorite for the Naismith College Basketball Player of the Year Award, Kelley leads the Badgers with 3.5 assists per game. Why Kelley?

“His leadership ability to help his teammates and the ownership he has taken of the program, forcing young kids to play a certain way and keeping his classmates and the other seniors in line,” Soderberg said. “I would vote a strong yes for Mike as our most valuable player.”