Porn production penetrates Ivy League library

Colonel Sanders would roll over in his grave if he knew about the debauchery associated with fried chicken and a group from Yale University.

Porn ‘N Chicken, considered by its members to be a “counterculture group” at Yale University, has produced the first pornographic movie in the school’s 300-year history. The group congregates weekly to watch a video and eat fried chicken, biscuits and beer.

The group’s film, “The Staxxx,” takes place in the dusty corridors of Yale’s library. Cast member Andi Young, a Yale junior, told the Yale Daily News that the film intends to portray “the stuff college students actually do.”

Although the film will not be released, three agencies are currently pursuing the film-maker’s script. In addition, the media hype has not subsided. The combination of smut and fatty foods sparked a media craze attracting various sources including MTV, Hustler and The New York Times.

Dean of Student Affairs Betty Trachtenberg told the Yale Daily News that “everyone is welcome to express themselves” and that she expected no administrative action. Such tolerance may have been surprising considering the intense controversy when Playboy magazine visited campus in 1995 to shoot “Women of the Ivy League.”

In the student newspaper, Porn ‘N Chicken members – who asked not to be identified – defended the film as a means of artistic expression. Young said acting in the film was a triumph over “a history of shame and fear.”

But Medill senior Adam Grayson, who runs an online adult film search engine called Searchextreme.com, dismissed the Yale students’ movie as “a publicity stunt and practical joke.”

Grayson said porn is not artistic and not intended to encourage social commentary, as Porn ‘N Chicken members have told the press.

“As much as you can sugercoat, tie a bow around it, it’s disgusting and degrading, and no matter how you label it, it is still smut,” he said.

Grayson said porn can rarely be called respectable.

“Porn is for assisting guys in spilling their seed,” he said. “If you try to make it high-brow, guys will hit the fast forward.”

At Yale, the decision to produce the skin flick began as a practical joke with no intention to carry it further, Young said. But the idea of a porn video generated enough interest to make “The Staxxx” a reality. Fliers inviting students to audition – individually or in pairs – spread across campus before finals week.

Young videotaped her scenes in late January. She and her on-screen partner approved scenes including penetration with a strap-on dildo and a fist, on condition that the scenes were clearly consensual.

Young said her only reservation was an unoriginal script with “cheesy lines and bad dialogue.” She even praised the professionalism of the film-makers.

But the movie provoked a schism within the Porn ‘N Chicken community, with half wanting to be “respectable” members of the Yale student body and the other half wanting to make porn, according to the Yale Daily News.

The Yale instructor who “has served somewhat as a counselor” commented that the production “pokes fun at porn and undergraduate sexuality at Yale.” He saw the video as a means to provoking widespread discussion of contemporary sexuality.

Other Northwestern students said they find Porn ‘N Chicken amusing, especially in the cultured environment of Yale University. Said Weinberg sophomore Kyle Bedell: “Obviously high-strung Yalies need some form of release. Porn ‘N Chicken seem to relieve that. Who are we to judge?”