Students want to expand study of Islam at NU

Muslim students at Northwestern see Islam as an important part of history, current events and their own lives. But they don’t see their religion reflected in course offerings.

About 25 students attended an informational meeting Friday to discuss the availability of Islam-related classes and the possibility of starting an Islamic studies program.

During the open forum, led by Associated Student Government Academic Vice President Sameer Gafoor, students said they want more Islamic studies classes and professors.

“It’s always been on the mind of Muslim students on campus,” said Weinberg senior Mutasim Sunbulli, who attended the meeting. “It’s never been organized in one session. (This meeting) was to organize our thoughts and what we want.”

Introduction to Islam, a 200-level class in the religion department, is offered only once a year in addition to an upper-level seminar. Departments such as history and African and Asian languages also have some Islam-related courses.

But students say they want to see the classes offered more regularly.

“If there were more classes available, I would definitely take them,” said Weinberg sophomore Aisha Jett, who took two 300-level classes on Islam during Spring Quarter. “(My classes) were all in one quarter. It would be better if they were spread out.”

The main problem, students said, is the scarcity of professors who specialize in Islam.

Prof. John Hunwick teaches Islam classes in the religion department, but he divides his time between the religion and history departments.

“It’s not really enough,” Hunwick said of current course offerings. “We need to have more classes at a higher level. I would say we need some basic courses on the Koran, on Islamic theology and Islamic law.”

Hunwick will reduce his teaching load now that he has become director of NU’s Study of Islamic Thought in Africa, a new institute funded by a $1 million grant from the Ford Foundation. The institute opened Monday.

Hunwick said he will retire in 2004. In 2002, he will reduce his course load further. With the lone Islamic studies professor leaving NU in three years, students say they want NU to hire more professors who have expertise in Muslim culture.

“It would be really good if we could get some more Muslim professors,” Jett said. “It makes it better if they’re Muslim themselves. If we did have more Muslim professors, students would have a better understanding (of Islam).”

Students said cooperation between departments would also help because the study of Islam spans many disciplines.

During the forum, they brainstormed possible classes, including courses on Islamic literature, women in Islam and Islam in the media.

At the end of the meeting, they volunteered for committees ranging from creating a Web site of Islamic resources to contacting administrators and department heads.

Students have established their goals but not a plan for moving forward, Sunbulli said. Their most immediate concern is gathering information so they can offer input on Hunwick’s replacement, he said.

“When the time comes to hire a new Islamic professor, we want some information we can give to administrators,” Sunbulli said.

“(Hunwick) will be missed,” he added. “(His work on) Islamic studies in Africa is a huge contribution to Muslims throughout the world. He’s leading academia to a whole new way of thinking.”

Hunwick said he also is concerned about finding a replacement who shares his interests and expertise.

“I’m working closely with the chairs of both (the religion and history) departments to ensure that I get replaced with someone who can do the same things I do and more, if possible,” he said.