7 protesters haul anti-Bush message across campus, city

Seven protesters canvassed Evanston and Northwestern on Thursday in a red 1978 Suburban denouncing Attorney General-nominee John Ashcroft.

The protesters were members of Lyndon LaRouche 2004, a group attempting to get LaRouche, an economist and frequent campaigner, elected president.

The group drove around campus and west of Sheridan Road. They temporarily set up a table in front of Leverone Hall to hand out literature and speak with NU students.

Anthony Defranco, a member of the group, said there were many parallels between the upcoming George W. Bush administration and that of Adolf Hitler. He said the country’s current economic troubles are similar to those of 1933 Germany.

“(Bush) will need to maintain public order with an iron fist,” he said.

The group is focusing on Ashcroft as a “strategic flank” to weaken Bush’s momentum, Defranco said.

McCormick freshman Alex Albertini said he had “no problem being against Ashcroft,” but that he didn’t agree with the group’s support of LaRouche.

“LaRouche is one of those wackos who runs for president year after year,” Albertini said.

McCormick sophomore Kristin Rehg said she disagreed with the Bush-Hitler comparison, and said that the protesters should not compare a politician in a democracy to a man who murdered millions.