Police Blotter: April 14

Paige Leskin, Managing Editor

Evanston man charged with disobedience to police, battery

Police arrested an Evanston man twice Friday in connection with not following police orders and hitting another man, officials said.

The 18-year-old was charged with two misdemeanor offenses, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said.

The initial arrest came after police responded to a call Friday around 3:30 p.m. that a group of people were fighting in the area of Church Street and Dodge Avenue, Dugan said. When the first officers arrived on the scene, the 18-year-old started to walk away and the officers dispatched additional police to follow him, Dugan said.

The Evanston man continued to walk away and did not follow verbal commands from police, Dugan said. Officers caught up with the man and charged him with disobedience to police, Dugan said.

Police arrested the man for the second time later that night, Dugan said. Officers were dispatched to Wings Over Evanston, 1115 Emerson St., a little before 10 p.m., police said.

A 26-year-old Evanston man told police there that when he pulled up to the restaurant, the 18-year-old — whom he previously knew — verbally confronted him. The 18-year-old then punched the other man in the back of the head and fled the scene in his own car, Dugan said.

Winnetka police later pulled over the 18-year-old in Glencoe, Illinois, Dugan said. Winnetka officers then handed over the man to Evanston police, who charged him with battery, Dugan said.

The 18-year-old is scheduled to appear in court April 27 and May 19 for his two misdemeanors.

Chicago man arrested in connection with property damage, previous retail theft

A Chicago resident was arrested at Home Depot on Thursday in connection with damaging property, as well as with retail theft police said he committed in February at the same store.

Police responded to the Home Depot, 2201 Oakton St., around 4:20 p.m. on Thursday to a report that a man had damaged some merchandise, Dugan said. The store’s security officer had the Chicago man, 44, in custody, police said.

The security officer told police he recognized the Chicago resident as the man who had committed a retail theft on Feb. 11, Dugan said. In that incident, a man had taken a power washer out of its box and tried to return it at the store’s customer service desk, police said. When staff would not accept the return, the man walked out of the Home Depot without paying for the power washer, Dugan said.

Police charged the Chicago man with felony retail theft and misdemeanor criminal damage to property.

Twitter: @paigeleskin