Women’s Golf: Wildcats set program record in impressive fifth-place finish

Alex Lederman, Assistant Sports Editor

In its final fall tournament, No. 5 Northwestern set a program-record 54-hole score while cruising to a fifth-place finish at the Stanford Intercollegiate this weekend in Stanford, California.

The Wildcats finished only behind No. 6 USC, No. 3 Stanford, No. 8 UCLA and No. 1 Washington. All 17 teams in the field were ranked in Golfstat.com’s top 100.

After the first day, NU was tied for second with Stanford at 2-under 282, behind only UCLA.

Sophomore Kacie Komoto stood in sixth-place at 2-under 69, with senior Hana Lee one stroke behind her and freshman Hannah Kim two strokes back.

Coach Emily Fletcher’s squad slipped slightly Saturday, falling to fifth place. They carded a 4-over 288 over the 18 holes, totaling to a 2-over 570 with day one.

Komoto scored an even-par 71 to fall from sixth place to eighth (2-under 140 overall). Meanwhile, Lee fell apart, carding 11 bogeys for an 11-over day. Kim once again notched par.

In the final round of 18 holes Sunday, the Cats earned a 1-under 283. The final 1-over 853 score shattered the school’s previous 54-hole record of 864.

Kim overtook Komoto as NU’s top golfer of the weekend with a 2-under 69 round. She tied for 12th overall at 2-under 211. Komoto had her worst round yet with a 2-over 73, falling to 21st place in the process (even-par 213). Junior Suchaya Tangkamolprasert had her best day of the tournament with a 2-under 69, and she finished just one stroke behind Komoto at 1-over 214 (tied for 24th).

After four impressive showings, the Cats’ fall season is officially done. NU returns to action in February with a tournament in Puerto Rico.