Letter to the Editor: Jewish student leaders call for Klein’s return

Dear Editor,

As a Northwestern alumnus (class of 2012) and the past president of the Chabad Student Executive Board I want to convey to Tim Stevens, Patricia Telles-Irvin, and the entire Northwestern family how much Rabbi Klein has done and how much he means to this campus.

I will only list a few things, however you can see for yourself at nuchabad.org/impact-on-northwestern.

Rabbi Klein brought Chabad to campus 27 years ago and has since revolutionized Jewish life at Northwestern. There are now kosher options in the dining halls and a synagogue on campus for students for daily prayer. These two things alone have allowed for so many Jewish students to be comfortable attending Northwestern.

Rabbi is one of the most welcoming and friendly faces at Northwestern, and his focus is to make the campus a better, safer and fun place for all of its students, regardless of religious background. He creates and participates in countless programs and events in order to encourage students to learn, eat, or just have fun. He works tirelessly to make Chabad feel like a home away from home. From services and programs to Shabbat dinner with chicken soup, he wants to make every student feel welcome.

Rabbi is one of the most responsible leaders on this campus and demonstrates this each year by leading trips of students from across the country to Israel. Over the last 20 years, he has taken more than 2,000 students on these trips.

Most importantly, Rabbi Klein is there for his students. If a student he knows is participating in any event, Rabbi Klein will be there. From Northwestern basketball games and Dance Marathon to concerts and plays, he goes to these events because he knows that the students want to share these experiences with him, and because he wants to support them in their successes. He consistently offers support in students’ times of need. He goes beyond what is expected; he cares, and it shows. Rabbi Klein is here to make Northwestern a safe, enjoyable, and meaningful place to spend a student’s college years. He is a responsible leader who contributes to campus life and is a person who deeply cares about the lives of students.

Many administrators on campus can attest to the type of community he has created because they have been to Chabad events. We have seen university officials, from Morty to countless professors, enjoying themselves at Chabad events.

The bottom line is that Rabbi Klein has been our support system away from home and he has always been there for us.

For students past, present and future, we hope the University realizes the mistake they have made, and officially welcomes Rabbi Klein back to campus where he belongs.

Sincerely,

Camila Benaim | Class of 2012, Past President of Chabad Student Executive Board, VP of Social Team of Hillel, co-Chair of MEGA-Shabbat

Matthew Altman | Class of 2010

Matthew Nabavian | Class of 2012, Past member of Chabad Student Executive Board

Emily Davidson | Chabad exec member, Co-Director of the NU Women’s Caucus, VP of Eta Sigma Phi

Joel Finbloom | President, Cancer Outreach Prevention and Education at Northwestern University

Joshua Logan Wall | WCAS ’10, Former Opinion Editor, Schmooze magazine

Alex Jakubowski | Class of 2014

Mindy Schiller | WCAS and SESP class of 2006

Rachel Zinn | SESP ’11, Chabad Student Executive Board President ’10-’11

Ben Segal | Class of 2012

Dan Birnbaum | C’02, Past Member of Chabad Student Executive Board, Past President of Alpha Epsilon Pi

Andrew Reiter | Class of 2010

Benjamin A. Rubin | Class of 2006