An American culture clash

Living Out,” a collaboration between Chicago’s American Theater Company and Teatro Vista (a Chicago theater company committed to expressions of Latino heritage), opened this week at the American Theater Company, 1909 W. Byron St. This marks the Chicago premiere of a show that has received rave reviews throughout the United States.

The show is written by Lisa Loomer, who made her mark in 1999 when she wrote the popular film “Girl Interrupted.” While “Living Out” deals with serious issues of race and socio-economic standing in the United States, it’s much lighter than “Girl Interrupted,” presenting comedy and laughter as integral tools in confronting cultural and societal conflict.

“I always keep my radar on for good plays throughout the country,” says Damon Kiely, the artistic director of the American Theater Company. “I look for shows that speak to a diverse American experience. We had been talking about a co-production with Teatro Vista, so this worked out perfectly.”

“Living Out” examines the relationships between Latino nannies and the white women whose children they care for. The show critically observes an American society in which parents relinquish control for 40 hours each week to their nannies. Loomer analyzes the obstacles Latino and Anglo families face in contemporary America.

On May 5, “Living Out” will be part of the League of Chicago Theatre’s “Theater Thursdays.” For the same price as any other performance, this performance will include a 6:30 p.m. reception with appetizers and margaritas. The pre-show reception also will be an opportunity to meet cast members and discuss the show.

“Living Out” is playing through May 22. Tickets cost $20 to $30. For show times and tickets visit www.atcweb.org or call (773) 929-1031.

— Rachel Wolff