Oprah no longer to teach popular class at Kellogg

Oprah Winfrey will not teach a popular Kellogg Graduate School of Management class, Dynamics of Leadership, next year, a Harpo Productions spokesperson confirmed Wednesday.

Winfrey informed Kellogg of her decision at the end of Fall Quarter, said Edmund J. Wilson, associate dean of student affairs.

The 110-person class, which Winfrey co-taught with her longtime boyfriend Steadman Graham, was one of the most popular at Kellogg. Students had to use more than half of their 3000 yearly “class points” to register.

Though she did not tell her students of her decision, Winfrey made reference to it while paying tribute to retiring Kellogg Dean Donald Jacobs when he visited her class.

“She thanked him and said, ‘Well, I thought if it’s his last year, it might be my last year too,'” said Kim Sladkin, a second-year Kellogg student who took Winfrey’s class during Fall Quarter.

Winfrey had told Jacobs and security officials who monitored the class that the pressures of the class, her show and her magazine were becoming too great, Wilson said.

“She brought a special set of skills and a special background,” he said. “I don’t think anyone can duplicate it.”

The class will probably not be taught with a different professor, Wilson said.

Winfrey will be missed at Kellogg, Wilson said, but school officials understand that she has many commitments.

“Two hundred and twenty students were blessed to study under her,” Wilson said. “We will be sorry to see her go.”