Student vloggers capture their college experience on video

Illustration by Beatrice Villaflor
The student vloggers were inspired by videos that they watched about college life.

“Hi guys, it’s Remi,” begins another introduction of Weinberg sophomore Remi Furuto’s YouTube vlogs, or video blogs. After watching countless college “day in the life” videos herself, Furuto embarked on her own vlogging journey.

In each vlog, Furuto includes a trailer, title page, videos and thank you message to her audience. Furuto’s most popular videos are her day in the life at Northwestern vlogs.

“I thought it was a great way to document my life because I feel like time goes by so fast here,” Furuto said. “I forget what I even did yesterday. This is just a good way to … look back in the future.”

Furuto said she was motivated to start her account to capture life at NU, like upperclassmen vloggers she watched in high school had. Around 450 followers later, Furuto gets approached by underclassmen who say that they watched her videos before starting at NU.

She said she looks forward to continuing her vlogging career and watching her college memories back after she graduates.

“I really like looking back on my vlogs and reminiscing on the good days,” Furuto said. “I think it’ll be really nostalgic. It’ll just be really fun to reopen those memories again.”

Weinberg sophomore Vincent Yang’s passion for vlogging was born out of a similar motivation to show prospective students what their NU experience may look like.

Aside from day in the life videos, Yang has also experimented with recording different challenges, like a 24-hour challenge in the Technological Institute.

“The school is always changing and there are a lot of things that are always happening,” Yang said. “We need more people creating content about Northwestern.”

Yang calls this channel his “starting point,” and hopes to grow the account further.

Despite these aspirations, Yang is currently taking a break from vlogging his life.

“When you’re vlogging, it kind of feels like you’re doing everything for the camera,” Yang said. “I want to gain more experience before I put myself in front of a camera again.”

Medill junior Alexia Kadota-Browner said she began her vlogging account in high school to prepare for a journalism career.

Kadota-Browner’s videos range from fitness tutorials to college advice and about her NU memories.

While Kadota-Browner has amassed over 2,000 followers on YouTube, she said she is her channel’s “biggest fan” and enjoys reliving memories by watching her videos.

“It has been super awesome to not only just look at maybe photos of good times, but look at a video that has laughter and emotion in it,” Kadota-Browner said. “You can just capture and visualize that moment that you had way better when it’s captured on video.”

Like Yang and Furuto, Kadota-Browner said she hopes to showcase the ins and outs of life at NU and post NU-specific advice videos. This passion even helped her land a job with NU Admissions.

“I’ve had a super fun and enjoyable experience at NU,” she said. “I’m hoping that my videos are able to capture some of the more party, fun sides to school at NU and showcase that to the public before they make their choice to come here.”

X: @lmschroeder_