Race Against Hate: Ricky Byrdsong’s Legacy
The Week Ahead, June 17-23: Juneteenth, Summer Solstice and Pride Celebrations in Chicagoland
Evanston Environment Board drops fossil fuels divestment, recommends updates to leaf blower ordinance
Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Honda Sport Award
District 65 School Board votes to close Dr. Bessie Rhodes School
Kathryn Hahn declares class of 2024 “worthy of celebration” in commencement address

Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Tewaaraton Award

May 30, 2024

Campus Kitchens fills plates and hearts

Three months since opening, Evanston’s new second-hand store says winter coat is a first priority

Naomi Taxay/The Daily Northwestern
Salvation Army Thrift Store in Evanston, located at 2424 Oakton St, Evanston.

Evanston’s new Salvation Army Thrift Store has entered its first winter season, marking three months since the location’s opening.

The store, located at 2424 Oakton St., Evanston, opened its doors on Nov. 3 after moving from Skokie over the summer. The warehouse holds everything from clothing to children’s toys and “bric-a-brac” items, adding a sizable thrifting destination to Evanston’s mix.

While Evanston is home to several second-hand stores, including Crossroads Trading Co. on Sherman Ave. and vintage boutiques closer to Trader Joe’s, there haven’t previously been thrifting options on the cheaper side in the area.

“The thrift stores in downtown Evanston are not my favorite,” Medill freshman Vincent Diaz Bonacquisti said. “They’re more like curated vintage stores.”

Diaz Bonacquisti has not been to the new Salvation Army yet, but is excited to check out the “more typical thrift store,” he said.

Evanston residents Jesse Dush-Hart and Ezekiel Porter said they used to have to travel down to Chicago to find cheap thrifting options. Porter said he appreciates having a local option. 

The store’s opening has even attracted customers from outside of the city. Chicago resident Zofia Mrozowska and her friend visited Evanston specifically to check out the new Salvation Army Thrift Store, she said. 

“It’s a well-organized store. Depending on the Salvation Army you go to, especially on a weekend, they have a tendency to get crazy,” Mrozowska said. “So it’s nice to see things relatively organized and color-coded, it’s quite impressive.”

According to Manager Irene Ramirez, the store has seen a steady flow of customers since its opening. Ramirez, who has worked at multiple Salvation Army Thrift Store locations, said business usually slows down in the winter, but the location has “been lucky.”

The location has a donation center on the side of the building, where people can drop off whatever they need to, Ramirez said. The store sees about 30 separate donations per day, according to their records.

Items donated to The Salvation Army are sorted and sold at their thrift stores, such as the one in Evanston. Ramirez said the store sets aside 20% of each month’s proceeds to fund the Salvation Army’s programs, subtracts store expenses and then gives another 40% to the organization’s rehabilitation programs, which provide therapy for those struggling with alcohol and substance abuse. 

Currently, the store is collecting winter coats. To help Evanston’s unhoused population, the Salvation Army is giving out vouchers that allow customers to shop at reduced prices or for free in the thrift stores, Ramirez said.

“We do have a big mission. It’s very important for people to donate, because we can provide more help for people that are in need,” Ramirez said. “Every cent is a blessing.”