ASG Senate elects internal board representatives in second Fall Quarter meeting

Delilah Brumer/The Daily Northwestern
Associated Student Government Senators met in Norris University Center on Wednesday.

In its second meeting of Fall Quarter, Northwestern’s Associated Student Government Senate elected and appointed 20 students to several of its internal boards and discussed upcoming financial and inclusion initiatives.

“There were a lot of elections, and I’m really excited about the new committee members,” School of Education and Social Policy senior and Speaker of the Senate Leah Ryzenman said. “I’m looking forward for the funding allocation process for the fall to begin.”

Early on in Wednesday night’s meeting, the Senate elected representatives for three of its internal groups: four members for the Wellness Board, five members for the Rules Committee and a Caucus Whip for the undergraduate schools. 

In addition, 10 Senators were appointed to ASG’s Board of Financial Review, which helps oversee the Senate’s funding allocations to student groups. 

Medill freshman Norah D’Cruze, Weinberg junior Riley Rendino, Weinberg junior Hamza Haq and Bienen and Weinberg junior Angela Choi were elected to the Wellness Board, which oversees mental health and wellbeing within the senate.

ASG’s Rules Committee, which reviews the constitutionality of proposed legislation, welcomed Weinberg sophomore Alvaro Junco, Weinberg freshman Jamal Omoniyi, Weinberg sophomore Melissa Kusi-Amponsah, SESP sophomore Sahil Desai and D’Cruze as its five new members for the 2023-24 school year. 

Weinberg sophomore Kaitlyn Salgado-Alvarez was elected the Caucus Whip for the undergraduate school Senators. Salgado-Alvarez will serve as a leader within the Senate when it comes to communication and bonding between the undergraduate school caucus and the student group caucus. Weinberg junior Nicole Aguilar-Medina, the Caucus Whip for the student group Senators, is continuing in the position she held last year.

“I want to create community throughout Senate, so that whenever you walk into the room there’s always a friendly face,” Salgado-Alvarez said. 

During the ASG Senate’s Executive Board report, ASG Co-President and SESP senior Donovan Cusick said this quarter’s application for the Executive Grant, which supports student orgs and initiatives, is currently open, and $23,000 is up for grabs. 

Later in the meeting, ASG’s Justice and Inclusion Committee co-chairs presented to the Senate and promoted ASG’s Cultural Summit, which will be held on Nov. 5 from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. 

“This is a resource for the community, and we want to make sure that your grievances and experiences on campus are heard from the bottom up,” said Weinberg sophomore and Co-chair of the Justice and Inclusion Committee Ty’Shea Woods.

ASG’s first meeting on Oct. 11 featured introductions and the swearing in of each undergraduate school’s newly elected Senators. The Senate did not hold its weekly Wednesday meeting on Oct. 18 due to its fall retreat, according to Ryzenman.

The 2023-24 school year marks the 63rd ASG Senate. Voter turnout in the Senate elections this fall was approximately 35% higher than in last year’s presidential elections, with 577 students voting to choose 20 undergraduate school Senators. 

Twitter: @BrumerDelilah