Evanston 2024 proposed city budget sees $51.8 million increase from 2023

Daily file photo by Bryan Lee
Cars driving down a street in Evanston. The City released its 2024 budget, which will be discussed at City Council on Oct. 16.

The City of Evanston has released its proposed 2024 Budget, totaling $449,008,728 — a $51.8 million increase from the city’s 2023 budget, according to a Wednesday press release. 

The city made adjustments in revenues due to inflation, including a 7.8% increase in the new property tax levy for the city and for the Evanston Public Library. The salaries of several jobs were also increased to align more with comparable cities and 15.6 new positions were introduced into the General Fund. 

The new budget also includes a 17.5% increase in water rates to account for increased expenses from the water main replacement and the Lead Service Line Replacement Workforce Development Program. 

A Capital Improvement Plan totaling $108 million was included in the budget, and will be distributed among ten funds. These funds will go towards improving city facilities, infrastructure, parks, transportation projects and replacing the 114-year-old water intake extending into Lake Michigan.

The summer of 2021, Evanston received $43 million through the American Rescue Plan Act to allocate to city projects. $1 million of these funds are left for allocation. The new budget includes $25 million to continue work on these projects, which include Evanston Thrives, Northlight Theatre, Family Focus Rehabilitation and the replacement of lead service lines. 

The full 2024 Proposed Budget will be presented to the Evanston City Council on Oct. 16. There will also be a public hearing for the budget on Oct. 23 and two community town hall meetings to gain public input on the budget.