Noodles & Company pulls together pasta dishes from across the globe

Jay Dugar/Daily Senior Staffer

Noodles & Company, near Evanston’s Davis Street CTA station, is a great option for college students and features noodle dishes from across the globe.

Jay Dugar, Newsroom Strategist

An affordable dining option with a variety of delicious noodle dishes that’s also just a ten-minute walk from campus would be any college student’s dream. But it’s time to wake up, because Noodles & Company is here to stay.

Evanston’s Noodles & Company, located at 930 Church St., offers a great and fast-casual dining experience. The restaurant, open from 10:30 a.m. until 10 p.m. everyday, is a convenient option for college students. 

The versatility of the Noodles & Company menu is honestly commendable — I can’t remember the last time I was eating udon noodles next to a family enjoying Western-inspired pasta dishes. 

Noodles & Company is a great spot for those like me who are fans of Asian food but might have friends who do not enjoy the cuisine. During my visit, I tried the Wisconsin Mac and Cheese, 3-Cheese Tortelloni Rosa and Japanese Pan Noodles, while my friends had the Pesto Cavatappi with Grilled Chicken.

Is Noodles & Company a hidden gem that changed my life? Probably not — especially since it’s a fast-food chain. But the food was completely fine across the board, and I’d probably go again.

The Mac and Cheese wasn’t the most visually striking dish, with shredded parmesan cheese sprinkled throughout. However, once I mixed the cheese in, the dish worked really well. It was both creamy and cheesy, and tasted homemade in the best possible way.

The 3-Cheese Tortelloni Rosa was my favorite dish of the night. The tortelloni was very well-constructed, filled with ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, onions and garlic. As a plus, the added tomato cream sauce gave the dish a great kick. The inclusion of mushrooms, Roma tomatoes, spinach and extra parmesan also added extra flavors that complemented each other really well. Again, the rosa wasn’t revolutionary or groundbreaking by any means, but for $9.25 it was well-worth it.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Japanese Pan Noodles. The dish, which featured udon noodles, carrots, mushrooms, broccoli and cilantro, also sported a flavorful and creamy sauce with a soy base. I particularly enjoyed the dish’s slight spice, which added a new dimension to the noodles’ flavor. It was also great to see Noodles & Company offered solid vegetarian Asian options, making it a great choice for those seeking plant-based meals. 

My friends who had the Pesto Cavatappi with Grilled Chicken seemed to enjoy it overall. They said the noodles were buttery, the chicken was moist and the mushrooms were juicy. However, they added the dish was similar to a grocery store frozen dinner in many ways and may not be the right choice for everybody.

The restaurant’s ambiance was fairly traditional for a fast-casual eatery. There was a warm and inviting atmosphere conducive to both casual dining and intimate gatherings with colorful walls and fun posters of pasta lining the walls. The ambience certainly contributed to the restaurant’s comforting vibe, which really elevated the entire experience.

Overall, Noodles & Company is a pretty solid choice for a midweek meal. Whether you’re a fan of Asian cuisine, a pasta enthusiast or are just looking for a nice meal, Noodles & Company may have exactly what you are looking for.

Twitter: @dugar_jay