Handgun magazine leads to lockdown at Lincolnwood School

Casey He, Assistant City Editor

Content warning: This article contains discussions of firearms.

Lincolnwood Elementary School went into lockdown after a student brought a handgun magazine into the building Tuesday morning, according to an Evanston Police Department news release.

According to the release, EPD arrived at Lincolnwood after the 8-year-old student told his teacher about the magazine. Officers recovered the magazine, and Evanston/Skokie School District 65 placed the school on lockdown as EPD and District 65 officials checked the building for firearms. 

At 10:49 a.m., after about 90 minutes, EPD announced on Twitter that the lockdown was lifted.

According to the release, officials did not find firearms at the school. Police found the magazine belonged to the student’s family member and did not find any intent from the student to cause harm. 

“While we are resuming our regular daily operations, we know this has caused a disruption to our school day and students are likely feeling a range of emotions,” said Terrance Little, Distinct 65 assistant superintendent of operations, in an email to Lincolnwood families. “We are sending our district CARES team of our dedicated social workers to support individual students and classrooms as needed.”

Twitter: @caseeey_he