U.S. Department of State names Northwestern a Fulbright Top Producing Institution

Daily file photo by Catherine Buchaniec

Since its inception in 1946, more than 400 NU alumni have participated in the Fulbright program.

Fiona Roach, Assistant Campus Editor

Northwestern was named a Fulbright Top Producing Institution for the 19th consecutive year, the University announced Wednesday. 

The U.S. Department of State granted 20 NU students and alumni Fulbright awards this year, which provides them the opportunity to teach, study and conduct research across the globe.

This achievement is a testament to your institution’s deep commitment to international exchange and to building lasting connections between the people of the United States and the people of other countries,” U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken wrote in a letter to University President Michael Schill.

More than 400 NU alumni have earned Fulbright awards since the program’s inception in 1946. The program offers scholarships through NU’s Office of Fellowships, and graduating seniors, alumni and graduate students with U.S. passports are eligible to apply. 

This year, NU students are using the scholarship to teach, conduct research and even perform stand-up comedy abroad, according to a University news release.

“I’m so proud that Northwestern continues to produce an exceptional number of Fulbright grantees,” Schill said in the news release. “It’s a wonderful way for us to further our global engagement as an institution while having a positive impact around the world.” 

Twitter: @fionaroach03