Rapid Recap: Northwestern 64, No. 14 Indiana 62

Gabe Bider/The Daily Northwestern

Senior guard Boo Buie shoots a free throw against Indiana. Buie poured in 21 points in Northwestern’s 64-62 upset victory over No. 14 Indiana.

Alex Cervantes, Senior Staffer

In a year in which both Purdue and Indiana have been two of the most consistent and dominant teams in the Big Ten, Northwestern completed a clean sweep, winning all three games against its Indiana conference opponents. The Wildcats (19-7, 10-5 Big Ten) also nabbed their third consecutive win over the No. 14 Hoosiers (18-8, 9-6 Big Ten) on Wednesday in a roller coaster 64-62 victory.

The NU defense was up to the task early, frustrating Indiana’s bigs, namely Trayce Jackson-Davis and Malik Reneau, with the team’s patented post doubles. After roaring out to a 10-7 start in the game’s opening minutes, the Cats held the Hoosiers to just 10 points over the final 15 minutes, including a 5:40 scoring drought midway through the half. Indiana was also held without a field goal for the final 6:49 of the first frame. 

Indiana’s struggles offensively were compounded by a 17-1 run from the hosts. Following a wing triple from senior guard Boo Buie, Indiana coach Mike Woodson called timeout looking to stop the bleeding. Still, NU’s defense stood strong, holding the Hoosiers to just 20 points.

Out of the intermission, Indiana, which entered as one of the hottest teams in the country, began to get some steam. Behind superstar forward Trayce Jackson-Davis, the Hoosiers gradually picked apart the Cats’ half-court defense. After posting just 0.714 points per possession in the first 20 minutes, Indiana totally reversed course, tallying 1.355 points per possession in the second frame.

It was end-to-end action over the final minutes, but NU ultimately exited victorious, securing sole second-place in the Big Ten.

Here are three takeaways from the Cats’ clash with the Hoosiers.

Takeaways

1. Tale of two halves for Audige, Buie leads the way again

Coach Chris Collins has hailed his veteran backcourt tandem of Buie and redshirt senior guard Chase Audige as the conference’s best guard duo. He’s not without reason, either. Both Audige and Buie are averaging over 15 points per game, while also being the only teammates inside the top-10 in the conference in scoring. 

The pair combined for 45 points in NU’s upset victory over the Hoosiers in Assembly Hall last month. They picked up right where they left off in the first half of round two on Wednesday.

Donning the team’s “Chicago’s Own” uniforms, which Audige in particular has found great success in, the duo combined to outscore Indiana in the first half, 22-20. Audige exploded out of the gates with 11 points, burying his first three attempts from beyond the arc, including a heat check near NU’s midcourt logo. 

Although Buie didn’t nearly have as much success from the field, he enjoyed ample success at the free throw line. When Woodson and a Hoosier assistant were assessed technical fouls for arguing with an official, it was Buie who stepped to the line. He buried all four free throws and knocked down two more ahead of halftime.

As the whole NU offense spiraled, so too did Audige’s performance in the second frame. Audige, still inspired from his first-half display, knocked down his first attempt from deep, but missed his next eight, finishing with three points in the second frame. 

Meanwhile, when the Cats needed a bucket most, they turned to Buie. Every time the Hoosiers would chip away at the lead, Buie would seemingly counter with a floater in the lane. The most pivotal came on NU’s final possession, though. 

After Jackson-Davis brought the score level, it was Buie who delivered the final blow. As the seconds ticked away, he drove right, stopped on a dime and buried the game-winner. In another outstanding performance against a top-15 foe, Buie totaled a team-high 21 points, six rebounds and four assists against Indiana. 

2. Indiana roars to life behind Jackson-Davis in second half

Aided by NU’s propensity to settle for three-point attempts — the hosts shot 3-of-15 in the second half — the Hoosiers gradually chipped away at a 19-point halftime deficit. 

Jackson-Davis, who was limited to five points on three shot attempts in the first half, began to play like the All-American talent he is. Operating all over the floor, the senior carved up the Cats’ doubles in the post. 

In the opening six minutes of the second frame, Indiana ripped off a 14-6 run, of which Jackson-Davis scored or assisted on eight. Jackson-Davis continued to inflict his will on NU’s defense as the game wore along. Midway through the half, he had assisted or scored on 18 of the Hoosiers’ 24 points. 

After posting a near triple-double in the two teams’ first meeting in January — 18 points, 24 rebounds and eight assists — Jackson-Davis nearly completed the feat again with 23 points, 10 rebounds and eight assists. It was a spectacular display from one of the nation’s premier players. 

3. Miller Kopp struggles in another return to Welsh-Ryan Arena

The former ‘Cat turned Hoosier was the subject of intense ridicule from the NU student section for most of the game. Kopp, who transferred from Evanston to Bloomington following the 2020-21 season, made his second return to Welsh-Ryan Arena on Wednesday night.

In his voyage back to Evanston last season to face the Cats, Kopp scored just three points, shooting a dismal 1-of-7 from the field. When NU traveled to Indiana earlier this season, Kopp attempted just two shots, making one in a five-point performance. 

Kopp’s struggles persisted once again versus the Cats — he scored three points on six shots — as he was handed his third consecutive defeat in crimson against his former team. 

Twitter: @CervantesPAlex