Men’s Basketball: Northwestern disassembles assembly hall with triumphant road win against No.15 Indiana

Daily file photo by Chirag Bachani

Sophomore guard Brooks Barnhizer throws down the one-handed jam. Barnhizer helped pull the Cats to their 84-83 victory over No. 15 Indiana on Sunday.

Lawrence Price, Senior Staffer

It’s difficult for any team to win on the road, especially in the Big Ten. This has nearly become impossible at No. 15 Indiana’s Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, an electric arena entrenched in the “winning culture” for decades and seeped into its hardwood floors. Not to mention, entering the contest, the Hoosiers (10-5, 1-3 Big Ten) hadn’t lost at home yet, flexing an 8-0 record. 

Even with this record and a crowd draped in red and white, the Cats (12-3, 3-1 Big Ten) were unfazed by the odds, handing Indiana its first loss at home this season and winning 84-83. 

“I just feel fortunate to come away with a really big road win,” coach Chris Collins said. “We knew how important the start of the game was going to be, especially with the crowd.”

Early on, the Cats and Hoosiers were knotted up at nine a piece as both teams fought for the upper hand. Yet, following the first media timeout, NU’s offense and defense took the upper hand. Senior guard Boo Buie and redshirt senior guard Chase Audige stifled and pickpocketed Indiana’s lead guard freshman Jalen Hood-Schifino multiple times, translating into buckets. 

Of its first 10 shots, NU knocked down eight, four from behind the arc. When it came to defense, the Cats forced Hood-Schifino into five turnovers by the end of the first 20 minutes, leading to 16 points off turnovers in the first half and a seven point lead going into the locker room.

One of these “good defense turns into great offense” plays encapsulated NU’s pathway to success. While Hood-Schifino drove into the paint from the right wing, he fell into an NU trap with an Audige steal. On the other end, sophomore guard Julian Roper II missed a three pointer wide, but hustled for the loose ball, resulting in sophomore guard Brooks Barnhizer’s left wing trifecta.

Collins said the team understands the importance of the game being more than just talent — it’s also about the fight and heart.

“That’s when you can have fun coaching a team, when you can spend all your time as a coach worried about game planning,” Collins said. 

The Cats were clicking on multiple, if not all, cylinders at many points during the game, using their strengths to the greatest degree possible. Yet, playing in what Collins described as “one of the iconic places in college basketball,” the slightest turn of momentum in Indiana’s favor would energize the large crowd — which could knock any team out of its groove. 

This occurred numerous times throughout the contest, where the Hoosiers would begin to catch fire from the field or force multiple defensive stops. Even when the tide began to turn in Indiana’s favor — alongside the added pressure of the amped atmosphere — the Cats were able to keep their composure and quiet the crowd.

Many of those times meant forcing one of their 16 turnovers of the day, or a player making a big shot, like junior guard Ty Berry’s silencing layup after a Hood-Schifino three. Buie credited that to the Cats’ experience in intense situations.

“As the leader and as the point guard, your team follows after you,” Buie said. “You can’t come out, you’ve? got to come out right from the jump and throw that first punch.” 

NU was able to stifle the home crowd for most of the second half, keeping the Hoosiers at an arm’s distance for the majority of the time with a double digit lead. This was the case up until the two-minute mark, when the Hoosiers attempted the basketball version of a “two minute drill” — where the winning team misses free throws, and the trailing team tries to mount a comeback.

Indiana gave its best impersonation, bringing the score within four points with less than 30 seconds left on the clock. Luckily, though, the Cats were able to hold on and pick up their second Associated Press top-25 win of the season — and for the third time in 55 seasons — advance to 3-1 in conference play.

“This is not an easy place to play at all,” senior forward Robbie Beran said. “We’re not a finished product yet, and there’s still a lot more things we can clean up, but it’s definitely a good sign.” 

Twitter: @LPIII_TRES