McCormick Dean Julio Ottino to step down in 2023

Daily file photo by Ava Mandoli

The Technological Institute. The annual Cole-Higgins Awards recognize McCormick professors and advisors who are nominated for supporting and mentoring students in their roles.

Davis Giangiulio, Assistant Campus Editor

Julio Ottino will step down as dean of the McCormick School of Engineering at the end of the academic year, Northwestern announced Friday. 

“As dean, my goal was to change the culture of the McCormick School,” Ottino said in a news release. “Working with an outstanding team of faculty, staff and students, I am delighted that we have been able to do just that. Our school is more connected, innovative and collaborative than ever before.”

Ottino has been dean since 2005 and has overseen a period of significant expansion and international recognition of McCormick. During his tenure, applications to McCormick have quadrupled and engineering majors now total about 25% of the undergraduate population. Research funding for the school has also doubled, leading to the launch of more than 15 McCormick interdisciplinary centers.

Ottino will remain as the Robert R. McCormick Institute Professor and Walter P. Murphy Professor of Chemical and Biological Engineering, after a leave period following his last day on Aug. 31, 2023. 

“As a trustee and member of the McCormick Advisory Council, I have enjoyed a front-row seat to Julio’s tenure as dean,” NU Board of Trustees Chair Peter Barris (McCormick ’74) said. “Julio has elevated the ambition of Northwestern’s efforts at the forefront of engineering education and research and has positioned the McCormick School of Engineering for lasting success and impact.” 

Twitter: @GiangiulioDavis