Softball: Things go south in South Bend for No. 9 Northwestern

Daily file photo by Joshua Hoffman

Junior outfielder Angela Zedak stares down a pitcher. Zedak’s fourth-inning home run was the only score for the Wildcats against Notre Dame.

Nathan Ansell, Senior Staffer

Softball

Last weekend, No. 9 Northwestern won two games thanks to sixth-inning surges. It seemed like only a matter of time before the team lost because of a late outburst, too. That time came Tuesday.

The Wildcats (24-6, 5-1 Big Ten) traveled to face Notre Dame (28-7, 7-3 ACC), their first game scheduled outside of a Friday, Saturday or Sunday since 2019. The Fighting Irish entered the showdown having won 11 of their last 12 games, including offense-heavy final scores like 15-13 and 13-12.

This game, by contrast, was a pitchers’ duel. NU couldn’t manage a hit in the first two innings, and Notre Dame only recorded two singles in the same span.

“I think we played great (defensively),” junior left fielder Angela Zedak said. “Our pitchers pitched great, and our defense backed them up.”

The Fighting Irish broke the deadlock in the third, as infielder Jane Kronenberger cracked a two-out double for a 1-0 lead. But Notre Dame could only manage that one run in the inning, as they stranded runners on second and third base.

Zedak woke up her bat in the top of the fourth inning, lifting a home run over the trees in left-center field. The two-run shot was her fourth of the season.

“I was just looking for a good pitch to hit,” Zedak said. “Doing whatever I could to get on base, move some runners, and whatever happened, happened.”

After that, the Cats’ batting went cold. NU only reached base once more for the rest of the game. The defense held strong until the sixth inning, but an error and a double to center on consecutive plays put the home team on top 3-2. The game ended with the same score.

Following the loss, the Cats will continue their road trip with two sets of games against Big Ten foes. They will take the field against the first opponent, Ohio State, beginning Friday.

“We’ve got a two-week gauntlet here,” coach Kate Drohan told The Daily on Sunday. “We will face a lot of good pitching, and we’re ready for the challenge.”

Twitter: @nathanjansell