Top 10 shows and movies coming to Netflix in April

Graphic by Audrey Hettleman

British, Polish and Norwegian television and film projects are among Netflix’s most promising April 2022 releases.

Andrés Buenahora, Assistant Arts & Entertainment Editor

Netflix’s April 2022 slate features heavy metal, a British sex scandal and six different Catherine Tates. Here’s a look at some of the most highly anticipated shows and movies coming to the streaming platform this month.

1. “The Last Bus”

“The Last Bus” film follows the only surviving humans on Earth — a group of schoolchildren — who must band together to fight and save humanity from a new threat: an army of weaponized computer drones.

Produced by Wildseed Studios, the British sci-fi comedy was written and created by Paul Neafcy, with Robert Sheehan (“The Umbrella Academy”) starring as Dalton Monkhouse.

2. “Forever Out of My League”

If you’re in the mood for a romantic comedy, look no further. The Italian movie “Forever Out of My League” tells the story of Marta, who struggles with a rare disease as she looks for love.

Following a breakup with her boyfriend, she begins dating an artist. But when she’s forced to undergo a vital surgery, Marta sees her life and relationship begin to spiral out of control as she wonders whether she’ll ever have a chance at true love.

3. “Battle: Freestyle”

In “Battle: Freestyle,” Amalie (Lisa Teige) is overjoyed at the news her dance team has been selected to compete in Paris. But challenges and distractions quickly surface as she regains contact with her estranged mother.

Amalie is offered an audition and a chance to join the modern dance group at the school her mother runs and tensions arise between Amalie, her partner and the rest of the dance group.

The Norwegian film premiered on Netflix on April 1.

4. “Hold Tight”

Netflix’s “Hold Tight” sees the wealthy suburb of Warsaw unraveling when secrets, lies and more begin to surface at the hands of a young man’s mysterious disappearance.

Based on the best-selling novel by Harlan Coben, this show is the second Polish series adapted from the original book.

5. “Anatomy of a Scandal”

Adapted from a novel of the same name, David E. Kelley’s (“Big Little Lies,” “The Undoing”) “Anatomy of a Scandal” tells the story of a massive scandal surrounding a powerful British politician.

Accused of sexual assault, James Whitehouse’s (Rupert Friend) lies, infidelity and secrets unravel as his wife — initially convinced of his innocence — begins to discover the kind of man her husband really is.

6. “Hard Cell”

Starring Catherine Tate, “Hard Cell” is a mockumentary set in a United Kingdom prison. The former “The Office” star will play six different characters on the show, which documents “the thrills and spills of life behind bars.”

The six-episode series premieres April 12.

7. “Apollo 10 1/2: A Space Age Childhood”

Written and directed by Richard Linklater, “Apollo 10 1/2: A Space Age Childhood” is a coming-of-age film that features space exploration and its impact on childrens’ imagination.

This sci-fi movie features the 1969 Apollo 11 moon landing and employs rotoscoping, an animation technique where actors record their lines in front of a green screen. Their bodies are then replaced with animations that capture their physical movements. This results in some excellent visuals to complement a cast that boasts Zachary Levi, Glen Powell and Jack Black.

8. “The Bubble”

Judd Apatow’s newest comedy, “The Bubble,” follows a group of actors who are trying to film the sixth movie of their blockbuster dinosaur franchise, “Cliff Beasts,” while quarantining during the pandemic.

The film takes place at an English hotel and stars Karen Gillan (“Guardians of the Galaxy,” “Spies in Disguise,” “Jumanji”), Leslie Mann (“The 40-Year-Old Virgin,” “Knocked Up,” “Funny People”), Pedro Pascal (“Game of Thrones,” “Narcos,” “The Mandalorian”) and others.

9. “Furioza”

Starting April 6, fans will get a chance to watch “Furioza,” which is coming to the platform through the “Original” label following Netflix’s purchase of the international distribution rights to the film.

Originally released last year in Poland, “Furioza” is about a man, David, (Mateusz Banasiuk) who reunites with the love of his life, Dzika (Weronika Książkiewicz), years later. But Dzika, now a merciless police officer, blackmails David into infiltrating a street gang in order to keep his brother out of jail.

10. “Metal Lords”

“Metal Lords” follows a group of friends as they start their own heavy metal band. Written by D.B. Weiss (“Game of Thrones”), this comedy sees Jaeden Martell (“Knives Out,” “Defending Jacob,” “It”) as Kevin Schlieb, the leader of the band.

Directed by Peter Sollett (“Raising Victor Vargas,” ”Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist,” “Metal Lords”) will arrive on Netflix April 8 and is the perfect movie for anyone looking to watch a fun movie about rock ‘n’ roll.

Twitter: @andresbuena01