COVID-19 cases rise at Northwestern for second week

Daily file photo by Angeli Mittal

While cases have been rising for the past two weeks, they remain significantly lower than the spike of 909 cases at the beginning of the quarter as students returned from winter break.

Caroline Brew and Isabel Funk

The number of positive COVID-19 cases on Northwestern’s campus increased by 67% this week, the second week in a row of rising cases.

The campus positivity rate rose to 4.35% from last week’s 2.78% since the University suspended testing requirements for students three weeks ago. Students who have not completed all vaccination requirements still need to test twice a week. 

The number of tests taken increased to about 4,700 after remaining steady at about 4,000 for the past two weeks. Case numbers increased to 206 from last week’s 123. 

This week, three residence halls received emails regarding heightened positivity rates on certain floors. Based on daily COVID-19 trends, the University said they identified three floors in Willard Residential College, Ayers College of Commerce and Industry and Kemper Hall that required additional monitoring.

The students living on these floors were asked to stop hosting guests and continue to follow the University’s COVID-19 protocol. Students on the fourth floor of Ayers were also asked to complete additional testing. 

NU students, faculty and staff are able to receive free, in-person asymptomatic testing at the Donald P. Jacobs Center from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m on weekdays. Those with symptoms should use the northwest side testing entrance at the Jacobs Center to receive in-person testing between 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on weekdays.

Twitter: @CarolineLBrew

Twitter: @isabeldfunk